How to script a shutdown

Reaction score
I sometimes have to go into processes in order to shut down a programme that misbehaves. Is there a way of creating a link that I can put on the desktop, which I can click to shut it down?

Reaction score
Works a treat on my computer, thanks very much!

However I sent it to my colleague though and they said....
" i click on it and black command box comesup like its going to do something, then vanishes and it doesnt"

I used taskkill /pid hipchat.exe /f

and when it didn't work changed it to taskkill /im hipchat.exe /f but the same thing happened.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it would work on one PC but not on another - but if you could ask your colleague to start a command prompt window (Windows Key + R > "cmd" > OK) then type in the command manually and hit enter, then it should show any errors rather then exiting the script. That may help us find the problem :).

Reaction score
Well, right clicking the .bat file and choosing run as administrator works for them.
How can I enable "run as administrator" for them all the time for that file?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure this will work as I'm posting from Windows 10 at the moment so can't test, but I think it should be ok.

Create a shortcut to the batch file, right click it > properties > shortcut > advanced > then tick the run as administrator box. It's not possible to run the batch file as an admin directly, but using the shortcut as a workaround should do the trick.

Ask a Question