SOLVED Scanning a thumb drive

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
How do I scan a thumb drive to make sure there is no malware/virus on it. It belongs to my daughter, she uses at school. I am afraid it might be infected and I want to make sure it's fine.

I have MSE and AVAST installed on my laptop.

Any suggestions?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Kalario

In my computer right click on the thumb drive and in the right click menu you will see scan with Avast and MSE.

Just a question why do you have two Anti Virus apps running ?

Last edited:

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks Veedaz...

One other thing, I just realized that both are running at the same time, how do I disable MSE so I can run the scan on demand?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I don't think you can as MSE has an active real time engine as Avast does so it would be a good idea to uninstall one of them and if you want a on demand scanner try Malwarebytes Free > http://www.malwarebytes.org/ free version has no live engine.

Reaction score
Open MSE
Goto setting
Real Time Protection
Un-check the box for "Turn on Real Time Protection"

I don't have Avast so I can't speak for them.

Reaction score
Hi Kalario

In my computer right click on the thumb drive and in the right click menu you will see scan with Avast and MSE.

I never noticed or thought of that. I have Norton NIS and it does the same thing. I use a USB Flash Drive for back up and I just checked it out, it worked just like you said.
GREAT! Thanks Veedaz!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
With Avast, you have the option to scan all drives that are plugged into your computer. When doing a manual scan, plug in your thumbdrive and select whatever letter your computer assigns to the drive, then scan it. You can also pause or stop realtime protection with Avast. Just click the symbol, and your options are there.

Ask a Question