Running W7 via Bootcamp

Reaction score
I have an elderly friend about to buy his first mac. The question concerns his desire to do video editing on W7.
The problem seems to centre round the way in which W7 runs apps that are XP only. Whilst Bootcamp appears to be able to partition the disc and run W7, video editing, capturing in particular, sends CPU power consumption up to the max. Will the XP emulator in W7 be man enough to tackle these tasks.

My friend is running XP pro 32bit and Pinnacle studio 10. The short workround is to shift him onto iMovie but as he is 84 I would like to keep him on familiar ground as much as possible.

Your thoughts would be very welcome.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why is he getting a mac if he'll be virtualizing Windows XP inside a pseudo-virtualized Windows 7 install? Why not just stay on a PC, or dual-boot XP if the XPM VM can't handle video editing?

Do I have this confused?

Reaction score
Hi Thrax,
No, your not confused, older generation thinking on his behalf I suppose.
He got into PC's 12yrs ago and has built up a love hate relationship with Norton/MacAfee et al, for all the usual reasons. On seeing my set up his eyes went gooey round the edges and his little old brain has gone into overdrive.

Final straw is the collapse of his 3yr old Sony that the OEM doesn't want to know about. He compares this to the 10yr old Imac I still use and wants a slice of the action. He wants to do as much as he can on the mac side but the video editing is the bone of contention. His desktop publishing app Serif Page Plus is not a prob, everything else is mac convertible.

Personally I use three platforms, OSX, XP and Linux on four machines, 3X mac, PC laptop. I cannot expose him to too much techno so its easiest to find the route of minimal disruption.

Thanks for you input.
Rick.

Reaction score
Windows 7 Video Editing… in Bootcamp on a Mac, Why?

I have an elderly friend about to buy his first mac. The question concerns his desire to do video editing on W7.
The problem seems to centre round the way in which W7 runs apps that are XP only. Whilst Bootcamp appears to be able to partition the disc and run W7, video editing, capturing in particular, sends CPU power consumption up to the max. Will the XP emulator in W7 be man enough to tackle these tasks.

My friend is running XP pro 32bit and Pinnacle studio 10. The short workround is to shift him onto iMovie but as he is 84 I would like to keep him on familiar ground as much as possible.

Your thoughts would be very welcome.
Many thanks.

I'm wondering why you would want to use Apps in Windows 7 to do Video Editing? If your Friend is buying a Mac and your wanting to use bootcamp to put Win 7 on it, Thats Awesome! I've got mine running on a Small Partition that I use Rarely…

Let me get to my point,
If you are buying an Apple Computer, Use the Built in Apps that come with each and every Mac. iMovie for Video Editing, Garageband for Music, iDVD for burning your Movie or music to DVD.

iMovie would do anything he would want to do better than any Software you can buy for windows.
Theres a reason you see Macs in a ton of movies and tv shows… Most movies you see today are edited with Final Cut Pro. Apple OS software only. If you want something that powerful you'll spend over a Thousand to buy it. You can also buy the Final Cut Express. much cheaper.

I'm just saying, once you boot up OS X you probably won't use the windows partition, It's rare I boot up in it…

Good Luck

Oh you don't need Virus protection on your Mac. Some people are mislead about that...

Reaction score
I might would agree with everything except this statement.
Oh you don't need Virus protection on your Mac. Some people are mislead about that...
How is reporting that people are catching viruses with Mac's, misleading them in thinking they need a virus protection? Obviously you are the one that has been mislead, unless you can prove all the reports of people catching viruses are false reports. In fact we have had a forum member make a statement that they caught a virus while using a Mac.

Ask a Question