Running DOS commands on a dual boot system.

Reaction score
As I have two operating systems on a single HDD what happens when I run a command like chkdsk or scannow. Is it only checking the partitions for the O/S that I'm currently loaded into.

Reaction score
Where are all the tech experts when ya need one. :). This question is beyond my knowledge base.:dontknow:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
You can define the volume you want to check. Try chkdsk /? for the parameters.

Reaction score
seems to work for scan but wont allow /r as it tells me the disk is in use by another program. Of course both my O/S are on one HDD so that may be why. It offers the option to dismount the drive but I'm reluctant to try that.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yeah, you'd need to unmount the drive with /x first, but since you're logged in that's not going to happen. I'd use a third party tool from a bootable disc for best results. There's a Linux disc that's supposed to be designed specifically for disk troubleshooting. I don't remember the name but it's easy enough to find on Distrowatch. Chkdsk isn't really very flexible, and many oldtimers have a distaste for it as it used to have a bad reputation.

Appears we have a guide here on the site for Chkdsk, by the way.

[edit]I think the distro I mentioned was Parted Magic.

Ask a Question