64bit version running on a 32bit system

Reaction score
I have a 32bit system type Toshiba laptop. I've accidentally bought a 64 bit version on Windows 7 - will it still work if I install it, or am I out $200?
I'm really a rookie when it comes to all this, sorry if my terminology is incorrect.

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, I'll have to check when I get home. Will that make a big difference in the answers I could get?
I bought it off ebay, and wanted to wipe it clean and have a fresh start with a new operating system

Reaction score
Well you might find that your Laptop has a 32/64 bit CPU and therefore will be able to run the new OS you just bought. If it isn't then you may have wasted you money mate. Did you open the packaging yet? Can you return to where you brought it from and exchange for 32 bit?

I could be wrong but I thought it was just the OEM copies that only came with one disc? Retail packs should have 32 + 64 bit DVD's. Can anyone confirm for sure as I run OEM?

Reaction score
I actually thought it was an OEM version that I bought - the sales guy said it was what I needed

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
If your 64-bit Windows 7 is in a sealed box don't open it until you have checked out your Laptop to see if it can run 64-bit ... if it cant you may be able to exchange it for 32-bit.

Post the model number of your laptop and I'm sure one of the members will be able to tell you if your Laptop can support 64-bit Software.

Reaction score
So what makes you think you have a 32 bit Laptop? Did the sales guy see the laptop prior to selling you a 64 bit OEM copy of 7?

Reaction score
No the sales guy didn't see it prior to me purchasing it - I just told him I wanted a copy of windows 7 and he said this is what I need.
I got home, and someone told me to look at my system properties and it says System Type 32bit operating system.

As I said, I really am a rookie when it comes to this stuff

Reaction score
Yeah you will have to post your model number so we can check the system configuration. the installed OS doesn't mean anything mate.

Reaction score
Hi I am also a newby on these os. I am thinking of buying Intel Core i5 750 Processor (2.66GHz)
MSI P55-CD53 Motherboard
ATi Radeon 4890 1024MB Graphics Card
Improved Black ATX Case
4GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
24x DVD-RW/CD-RW Optical Drive (Black)
500GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk
650watt EZCool PSU

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit OEM. There is an option to buy 32 and 64 bit windows 7 discs. Apparently in the future applications will be with 64 bits. Buying the 2 discs is recommended but I am not sure whether it is necessary

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi margarite6666 & welcome to Windows 7 Forums

With your spec i would see if you can just get Windows 7 64-bit OEM

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi I am also a newby on these os. I am thinking of buying Intel Core i5 750 Processor (2.66GHz)
MSI P55-CD53 Motherboard
ATi Radeon 4890 1024MB Graphics Card
Improved Black ATX Case
4GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
24x DVD-RW/CD-RW Optical Drive (Black)
500GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk
650watt EZCool PSU

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit OEM. There is an option to buy 32 and 64 bit windows 7 discs. Apparently in the future applications will be with 64 bits. Buying the 2 discs is recommended but I am not sure whether it is necessary
With your hardware specs above as listed, it would be a waste of money to buy an OEM version of x86 (32bit) Windows 7.

X64 based systems are the future and over 95% of the 32 bit software will run on it. Plus with Windows 7 X64 you'll be able to utilize all of your RAM!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
For those whose aren't sure what type of hardware they have or what version of Windows 7 to install, use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor:

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Find out if your PC can run Windows 7

To see if your PC is ready for Windows 7, download the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It scans your PC for potential issues with your hardware, devices, and installed programs, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.
The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor checks for compatibility issues.

If your PC can run Windows Vista, it can probably run Windows 7, but it's still a good idea to use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.
Note: Information about your PC will be sent to Microsoft, but no information will be used to identify or contact you. For more information, read the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor privacy statement.
Before you begin

Before scanning your PC with the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, be sure to plug in and power on any USB devices or other devices, such as printers, external hard disks, and scanners, that you regularly use with the PC you're checking.
Download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
No the sales guy didn't see it prior to me purchasing it - I just told him I wanted a copy of windows 7 and he said this is what I need.
I got home, and someone told me to look at my system properties and it says System Type 32bit operating system.

As I said, I really am a rookie when it comes to this stuff
Well, I guess this will teach you NEVER listen to salespeople who work at big box computer retailers! Really though I sympathize with you because when I first got into computing I was taken to the cleaner a couple of times. Just be sure to do your homework before going to the computer store.

Just because System Properties says "32bit Operating System" does not mean you can't install a 64bit OS.

IF they sold you an OEM version then you'll only have ONE disc in the packaging. If you bought either the full retail or upgrade versions then you'll have TWO discs; one for 32bit and the other for 64bit.

As long as the seals on the OEM package are not broken should have no problem returning it for the correct version. IF the seals are broken, since the salesperson basically did NOT do his job of verifying what hardware you had, assuming basically then you should be able to return it because you were mislead and sold the wrong product. What I would do is go back, find that salesperson and tell them the situation. If they are unwilling to help, ask for a store manager or the person in charge of the store at that time.

Remember... the squeakiest wheel gets the most grease! Good Luck!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I have a 32bit system type Toshiba laptop. I've accidentally bought a 64 bit version on Windows 7 - will it still work if I install it, or am I out $200?
I'm really a rookie when it comes to all this, sorry if my terminology is incorrect.
You'll be able to use the same Product Key. Just download the (x86) 32 bit version you need from here.

If you need Ultimate you'll have to download it from somewhere else.

Ask a Question