I am currently testing Windows 7 in VirtualBox, my VBox specs are as follows:

Virtual Box Version: 2.1.0
Version: Other
HD Size: 10gig
RAM: 850mb
Video:128mb
Audio: Windows Direct Sound / ICH AC97
Network: PCNet-Fast III (VBox Default)

I was only able to install the Virtual Box Guest Additions under Vista Compatibility, and until I installed this, I could not get a connection to the internet. Interesting enough, I have more screensize options before installing the Guest Additions and less after, I would recommend not allowing the Video Driver install from the Guest Additions.

Having a look at the lame and confusing Windows Firewall, I am going to try Comodo (which will only install under Vista Compatibility). I already use this firewall on my XP system so understand it very well.

As I test each install, I'll update here weather the program installed as is or needed to go under the Compatibility knife.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
It seems I could not install the Guest Addition unless I allowed it to install the Video driver so I'm stuck with 1024 x 768 for now.

The Comodo Installed ok under Vista Compatibility but the firewall updater is giving me an error. I will try uninstall and re-install of the newer version.

On the plus side, all the following programs installed without needing any Compatibility settings:

Avast 4.7 (antivirus)
Izarc (compression utility)
Foxit (pdf reader)

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've tried Zone Alarm twice now and both times the install was smooth and uneventful but I just could not get a connection to the internet after installing it no matter what I tried. No error messages or anything, it looks perfect except for a rather large problem LOL

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've currently given up on Comodo and Zone Alarm for now and am using just the Windows Firewall with an add on program called Vista Firewall Control by Sphinx Software. This program monitors outbound connections and gives you the ability to allow or block as you see fit and surprisingly installed in Windows 7 without any Compatibility settings. Also, the newest Flash and Java both installed without issue or needing any Compatibility settings.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
There has been an update to VirtualBox and they have now included support for Windows 7!

1st Change: When first setting up the OS, there is now a Windows 7 choice from the Windows OS menu.
2nd Change: The VBox Guest Additions installs without needing compatibility settings
3rd Change: The Shared folder now works! (Yahoo!) It's a bit tricky to get working so if you need to know just ask.

I've also installed the Live Mail and Live Messenger using the new Windows Live program, with no issues and installed Mailwasher out of the box. The only issue with it is it does not see the Live Mail as a desktop Email program so shows an error when you click the link to open your Desktop Email.

Reaction score
There has been an update to VirtualBox and they have now included support for Windows 7!
That's what I love about VirtualBox - it's always so quick to come out with improvements and new features :) So much better than MS Virtual PC, IMO.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Ian, many thanks for a great article. I'm currently using VM Player from VM Ware, but will check this one out, too. I'm searching hard for a way to help many members here who are trying to run programs that just won't run in Windows 7, including some printers. I feel that software won't be a problem with a VM, Microsoft pushes it off to it's business customers as a solution for their needs, so I don't see why we can't do the same for our members. Everyday, there's someone that has a program that won't run in 7, and even if they can, they have to step down to 32 bit. There's no need to downgrade when you don't have to, over a 10 year old program that isn't supported by 64 bit Windows. It is my recommendation that this tutorial be bumped up and be seen by those who needs it. Going virtual is the perfect answer for many, it's not by any means new anymore, just as 64 bit technology isn't. This would be a fantastic solution for many, and would make many issues to be "marked as solved", and we shouldn't let this opportunity pass us by.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This is a thread that needed reviving. I have Linux Mint 9 64 bit on my second drive, with the latest VirtualBox from Oracle on it. Windows 7 (32 bit) runs like a charm on it, as well as Vista, XP Pro & Win 2K. In fact, it installs & updates faster, and I have to say that VirtualBox is one of the finest of it's kind on the market. Even better than Windows Virtual PC with XP Mode. Oracle stays on top of things.

Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
VirtualBox is good indeed, but for me the performance has been overall much better under VMware.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I guess the performance may vary by computer, and the amount of RAM that you can "lend" to it. I never had good luck out of the VMware player, but I know of a few who uses it, and are happy. I've ran many VM's, even the Microsoft one, I've had my best luck with VirtualBox. It's updated regularly, and installs easily on Mint (where I use it the most). And can run most any OS that you install on it, even 7.

Reaction score
is the sun virtual box and programs like it safe to use for beginners like me please.?

thank you.:dontknow:

Reaction score
Is the windows installation dvd needed to run the sun virtual box.?
thanks.:dontknow:

Ask a Question