Retrieving Outlook from external hard drive

Reaction score
Computer crashed and now I have it reloaded again. I need to retrieve my back up from my Seagate external hard drive. I have tried c:\users\users name\appdata\local\microsoft\outllook and I get the system cannot find the path specified. I have also tried c:\users\usersname\appdata\external\microsoft\outlook with the same result
What is the appdata? is it something I am supposed to type or is it just the word "appdata"? I do no know anything under the c: prompt. If it is something under appdata, what is it?

I have windows 7 home premium and microsoft office 2010.

Thanks
Jimmy

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It's not in \users\username\documents\outlook files\ on the external drive?

If that doesn't help, here are additional suggestions.

Reaction score
Sorry unhyper - that did not help by telling a novice where it is not. Under the additional suggestion is basically where I got my info.
I am looking for the path in laymens terms to retrieve my pst data off the external drive back into my outlook 2010

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
No...I wasn't telling you where it isn't, I was asking if it wasn't at that location...

Try this: open up Windows Explorer, go to the menu and into folder options. Under the View tab, uncheck the box next to "hide protected system files" and also the one next to "show hidden files and folders" or something to that effect. Hit OK.

In Windows Explorer, go to the external drive and in the search field of Windows Explorer enter *.pst - it should find all files on the drive with that extension.

Reaction score
I can get to my outlook but then it tells me" outlook data files must be opened from within outlook". I have outlook open but I do no understand the next step and tha is to pull that info from my external drive to outlook that is now open.

Ask a Question