Can't seem to import my outlook express messages into live mail

Reaction score
I just updated to Windows 7. I had exported my outlook express messages to my jump drive (I believe they are .dbx files).
I have attempted to import them into windows live mail (since outlook express is not available for windows 7) and it is not working. It doesn't seem to recognize them.

any hints? much appreciated!

Reaction score
Hello Yvonne,

Please try these steps to resolve your issue:

Start Outlook Express.
Select Tools | Accounts... from the menu.
Go to the Mail tab.
Highlight the desired email account.
Click Export....
Now click Save to export the settings to a .iaf file named after the account in your My Documents folder.
Choose a network drive or portable medium to transfer settings from one computer to another.
Close Outlook Express.
Open Windows Live Mail.
Select Tools | Accounts... from the menu.
You may have to hold down the Alt key to see the menu bar.
In Windows Live Mail 2012, select File | Options | Email accounts….
Click Import....
Highlight the .iaf file you just saved in Outlook Express.
Click Open.
Click Close.
Now select File | Import | Messages... from the menu.
Make sure Microsoft Outlook Express 6 is selected.
Click Next >.
Click Next > again.
To import mail from another computer, copy the Outlook Express mail files to the machine that has Windows Live Mail first.

Choose specific folders to import under Select folders: or leave All folders selected to import all Outlook Express mail.
Click Next >.
Now click Finish.
You fill find the imported messages or folders under Storage folders in the Windows Live Mail folder list.

Regards,
Edward

Reaction score
thank you for your reply. I did not save the .iaf file for settings before updating my computer to 7. I no longer have outlook on my computer. Is importing the .iaf file crucial to these instructions working?

Reaction score
Thank you so much, Even i'am also looking for this Solution. It is very helpful for me.

Ask a Question