SOLVED Removing Windows XP

Reaction score
At the moment I dual boot XP and Windows 7. XP is on partition C:\ and Windows 7 is on partition G:\ both are primary partitions. I am now very happy with Windows 7 and want to remove XP (as easily as possible). I have Paragon Partition Manager 2010 which should do the job, but where to start?. Ideally I also want to reclaim the C:\ partition and re-assign Windows 7 to C:\. I would like to avoid any re-installing of Windows 7 if possible. I also have an Acronis drive image of Windows 7. Finally if I manage all of this how will the 'boot' process sort itself out I mean from dual boot back to one operating system.

All advise most gratefully welcomed

Reaction score
Please post a screenshot of disk management. We will probably have to help you move the boot files to G: and then you'll be free to remove the reference to XP from the boot menu and also format C:.

I need to be sure to be able to help you further though.

You can use snippingtool.exe by typing it in the start menu search box, then hitting enter to make a screenshot.

Reaction score
Cool, but I need the screenshot of disk management of Windows 7. It has information in there not currently included as to which are the system and boot volumes. You can type the bold into the start menu to get to it.

Reaction score
This is how to proceed if C: is shown as the system partition and G: is shown as the boot partition in Windows 7 Disk Management screen. You can post it anyhow if you'd like me to double check.

1) Make sure your computer is set to see all hidden and system files.

2) Copy bootmgr file from C: to G:

3) Copy the Boot folder from C: to G:

Ignore the warning that it can not copy bcd or the log files. Tell it to skip over these.

4) Open an elevated command prompt. Copy and paste the following command then hit enter:

Code:
bcdedit /export G:\boot\bcd
5) Go into Windows 7 disk management and set G: to be the active partition.

6) Type msconfig into the start menu and hit enter. Go to the boot tab. Click on XP line then click delete.

7) Reboot and quick format C:

8) You are now free to do as you wish with the free space of C: such as cloning G: to it. If you clone G: to C:, you can use C: as your Windows 7 if you set C: partition as active after the cloning.

To be on the safe side, you can dual boot both C: and G: by adding C: to the boot menu using EasyBCD software. Once satisfied C: is well, then you can remove G: from the boot menu.

A good and free clone utility is Clonezilla.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does this help, if not let me know
Yep. You can follow my previous post. The advice is perfect for your setup. If you need anything further or when you're successfully done, please let us know.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help I'm sure I will be ok now but I will report back hopefully to say I've succeeded. It might be a few days from now though.
As always this forum has been extremely helpful.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In Paragon Partition Master it's a little easier.

Just use the "Clone Partition" feature, and you should be good to go.

You may have to delete the C partition first, but Paragon GUI will guide you on this.

Try doing Clone Partition first and click apply and go from there.

It should also change it to an "Active" partition and make it "Primary" too.

Reaction score
As promised I am reporting back to confirm that all is well. I have removed Windows XP and Windows 7 now holds the prime spot on C:\ Drive.
Many thanks once again for all the help and advice received, it was invaluable.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Many thanks once again for all the help and advice received, it was invaluable.
We're glad we were able to help you out! Stay here and hang out and see what other ways we may be of service to you, plus you may be able to help others out also.

Ask a Question