removing "old" print driver

Reaction score
After reinstalling my okidata ML320 driver a second time on Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, it started working. But the working version of the driver is labeled okidata ml320 turbo (copy 1). Unfortunately the original driver still exists as a shaded out ghost of its former self in the control panel. Quickbooks defaults to this (corrupted?) driver. Is there any way I can remove this old driver completely? I followed the windows HELP guide to try to get to something called Print Management, but there is no Print Management button on my computer.

The help guide says: "To open the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in for Print Management, click Start, click Control Panel, click System and Security, click Administrative Tools, and then click Print Management." (but there's nothing to click on)

I have tried going to the printers area in the control panel, removing the printer, and the grayed out icon will say "removing" but it doesn't go away and when I reboot it does not say "removing."

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Type printmanagement.msc into the start bar search & see if you can run it from the results.

Reaction score
Type printmanagement.msc into the start bar search & see if you can run it from the results.
Strange, this works on my home PC which is running windows7 Enterprise. But this does not work on the PC which is having the trouble (it's running windows7 home premium)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would suspect you are not logged on as an administrator or something is set to disable it but I don't know what else to suggest on that end.

There is a program called Driver Sweeper that is often suggested for removing video drivers. I don't know if it can help you remove the sound driver or not but you might check it out.

Reaction score
I would suspect you are not logged on as an administrator or something is set to disable it but I don't know what else to suggest on that end.

There is a program called Driver Sweeper that is often suggested for removing video drivers. I don't know if it can help you remove the sound driver or not but you might check it out.

That's a good point. I'm logging on as a user which I THOUGHT had Admin privileges, but I'm not absolutely certain. perhaps not! I'll definitely check on that. I'll also try driver sweeper and if it doesn't work I'll see if I can find a similar program.

Thanks for all the suggestions! It's not an end-of-the-world problem, it just seems like there should be an easy solution for this! A friend of mine suggested trying to delete both print drivers, remove any entries in the registry, then reboot and install the print driver. maybe that will leave it with just one working driver.

Cheers!
Sam

Ask a Question