SOLVED Help removing a Folder

Reaction score
Have Win 7 Home Prem 64 bit.

When I go to my Documents folder, within it there is a folder which is empty and identified as being located in a "B" Drive - which I do not have (though may have 2 yrs back when I bought a second HD to be my back up drive and designated it as the B drive, then renamed E drive (was told that B drive should be a floppy - even though do not have a floppy and D is my DVD drive)

I tried Rt click on the B drive folder - but I have no options.
If I double click on it, a msg pops up saying the folder is unavailable.
I do not see a reference to the B drive in Device Mgr or Disk Management.

Any ideas - or just ignore it, as no harm...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try installing Unlocker
Once installed, right-click on the folder and see if unlocker is an option; if so then select it and choose delete.

If that doesn't work then I would probably reassign your D: drive to B:, temporarily, and make sure it contains the folder of issue here. Then delete the pointer to it in your documents library. And then reassign the drive to D:

Bit of history ... Basically A: and B: were reserved for floppy drives when such a thing was common and then hard drives started at C: on up. Now, even though they floppy drives hardly even exist any more, it is still uncommon to name hard drives anything less than C:.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No luck.

There are no options when Rt clicking the folder.

Installed Unlocker-
At first got a "Access denied" when trying to access the folder.
Fixing That - was as mentioned, renaming my D to B drive.
Now able to select the folder. First tried to Delete, then Move the folder.
No luck either way.

By chance any other suggestions?

Guessing the only way is to reformat the C drive & re-install Windows.
Since such a minor issue, not worth that hassle.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is this right under Libraries ... Documents?
If so, select properties of "Documents" and see if it is in the list of library locations. If it is there then simply select it and click Remove.

If that doesn't work then can you show me a screen shot, preferably including the right-click menu?

Reaction score
Well how simple - that worked (select properties of "Documents" and see if it is in the list of library locations. If it is there then simply select it and click Remove.)

Thanks!

What got me into this was looking at options on moving (or copying) my Library folders to another drive - for the if or when my C drive crashes.
One option I came across happens to be on that Properties Menu (where I would chose "Include a Folder").
the other was via Users/PC Name/My Documents - then Properties, then the Locations tab.

Any thoughts here?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The only way to be secure is to take regular back-ups to a separate hard drive. Moving folders/libraries still means there is only one copy so that is not a solution.

The best solution is an external hard drive which you disconnect/turn off except during the back-up. If you run a complete virus scan before each back-up you are then best protected from viruses.

Check out the Backup and Recovery section of our Freeware DB for some possible solutions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, the plan was/is to move/copy the Library folders from C drive to my Back Up drive (F).
I have Acronis - for image back ups.
Will look into that on back up of just the Library folders.

Update:
Did a back up w/Acronis.
Not really what I am looking for - as the back up file is a tib extension.

What I would like is Sync Toy where I can set a schedule.
(I decided to copy My Documents from the C drive and dropped into a "Documents" folder on the F drive.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
move no ... if you move them then they ONLY exist on F ... copy would be fine but you (likely) wouldn't want both the original and the back-up folders listed under the same library. I suppose you might do something like "Documents" and a new library "Back-up Documents" but if it really is just for backing up and emergency recovery then best to keep it out of site most of the time.

There is a product called Synctoy which I use. I set up subfolders on my external Hard drive under folder TrainableMan for Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc and then I linked my libraries to these back-up folders via Synctoy.

Reaction score
I have Sync Toy - so will play with that with Windows Task Scheduler (of which I have had little luck with Scheduler of previous versions).

And I am assuming you meant "off" site ("... then best to keep it out of site most of the time.)..."

I have been using Carbonite for over a year now- so that Library back up is just another (back up).

Reaction score
Well , having issues with Windows 7 Task Scheduler.
Started a new post "Task Schedule Errors"

Take care and thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And I am assuming you meant "off" site ("... then best to keep it out of site most of the time.)..."

I have been using Carbonite for over a year now- so that Library back up is just another (back up).
No I meant out of sight. I personally do not feel your back-ups should be right there side by side with your originals so I would discourage adding them to your libraries. Otherwise you could easily start editing the back-up and then you end up with the latest copy of some things on one drive and some on your back-up. In fact I keep my back-up drive off-line except when making back-ups.

If your back-up drive is always connected than any virus that can infect your C: drive can also infect your back-ups. Also, because my external is not powered on except when I want to make a Back-up I do not use any type of scheduling; I manually turn on the HD and manually run synctoy.

Carbonite is offsite, so yeah that's great if your computer is stolen or house is swallowed by a sinkhole, etc and is in a league with business level recovery. On the other hand, if someone hacks carbonite then I hope you aren't backing up personal information.

Ask a Question