SOLVED Malicious Software Removal Tool

Reaction score
Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool is included with the monthly Microsoft updates. Have you ever had it remove anything from your computer?

I have never had it find anything on my system. It just makes the update process take longer. I'm tempted to stop including it in the updates. But I thought it wise to ask the community for their experiences before I do that.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You hope it won't find anything, that is the ideal situation; just like when you run your anti-virus software you hope it doesn't find a virus. Both pieces of software are preventative and both are something you should run on your computer.

Reaction score
You hope it won't find anything, that is the ideal situation; just like when you run your anti-virus software you hope it doesn't find a virus. Both pieces of software are preventative and both are something you should run on your computer.
I appreciate that answer. Thank you.

I use a multilayer approach for security. My AV/AM app is the outer layer and it alerts me from time to time and prevents me from letting something in. It is not able to catch everything so the other layers are needed. Less often they alert me to things.

The MSRT has never alerted me to anything (since it was introduced years ago) and I'm just considering removing a layer that may not be needed. I'd rather be safe than sorry and was wondering if those who may be using a less comprehensive approach to security had every had MSRT alert them to anything. ;)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is my understanding the Malicious software removal Tool is pretty specialized, looking for particularly nasty viruses, including Blaster worm, Sasser worm, and Mydoom so luckily I can say I don't have any experience with it ever finding a problem on my system.

I, too, use a multilayer approach to protecting my computer, including using a hosts file to block known malicious sites, an active anti-virus software including email scanning and browser add-ins, Spybot Search&Destroy, plus Malwarebytes as a passive manual secondary virus scanner. Plus I take periodic back-ups of my data to an external hard drive which is disconnected from my computer except during those back-ups.

Maybe someone will come along that has seen it actually locate an infection; luckily I never have.

Reaction score
It is my understanding the Malicious software removal Tool is pretty specialized, looking for particularly nasty viruses ...
I had not looked at it that way. Guess I'll leave it be for a while longer. I have read about such things and I do feel lucky that I have yet to become a victim. :)

I do what you do (slightly different mix of apps) and a little more, including additional firewall protection.

Last edited:

Ask a Question