Reinstalling Windows on my laptop

Reaction score
I have an MSi GT 60 which has run the same copy of windows for around 2 years and is getting rather slow so I would like to perform a clean installation. The disks the installation runs on are a pair of 500GB hard drives running in RAID 0 and I would also like to take this time to separate the array and run each drive independently.

The laptop has a key code on it, which I assume is for reinstalling it, but I don't know if I can use this key with any other windows installer, Would really appreciate anyone who can clarify how the key code and genuine copy/validation system for this works.

Also, is there anything I should look out for when I am doing this.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
The short answer is : No. You need a valid product key that is corresponding to the same Windows version.
Ex. you cannot use a Win 7 Home Premium product key to install a Win 7 Ultimate.

If your product key is a OEM key ( key that comes with the computer ), it is only good for that computer. It cannot be used for another computer. It lives and dies with the hardware.

If you product key is a retail key ( key that you bought at a retail store and it comes with a DVD installation disk ) then different rule applies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your question was :
but I don't know if I can use this key with any other windows installer......

I was under the impression that you want to install a different Win 7 version.

If you just want to reinstall the SAME Windows version, then you product key is good to go.
You can download a Win 7 Home Premium SP1 iso and burn the file to a bootable DVD.
You can then use the dvd to re-install.

Windows 7 ISO download :
https://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/
Burn a Win 7 ISO file to a bootable DVD :
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Reaction score
OK. I have a USB drive I use for installing OSes and a bootable ISO loader, that should work too right?

Thanks aagain

Ask a Question