Recaping a an old issue. HDD problems.

Reaction score
OK I posted some like this awhile ago but I tried to fix the drive via windows. Its my 2TB Seagate Drive SATA. Using Hard Disk Sentinel the health is reported @ 45% good and "acceptable" HD Sentinel also says about this drive

"The drive found 32 bad sectors during its self test.
There are 32 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
65535 errors occured during data transfer. This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there."

=====================================================================================

This was the drive I replace with a new on,but I needed space so I'm attempting to see if I can get the 32 weak/bad sectors fixed. I hooked it up today and booted into my desktop. The drive was recognized and I had windows check file systems and scan for and attempt to recovery of bad sectors. This took 3 to 4 hours but when I came home windos hd a report saying it fix those sectors. Another though is a software that can either dismiss/confirm HD Sentinel and windows. I guess I need Checks and balances on this because I want to transfer data from the crowded drives to Drive I:\\ but I dont want the drive to die on me thus losing all I had transferred. TIA!

Attachments

Reaction score
Once the bad sectors is created on your HDD, it can't be removed and overtime, It'll start damaging its nearby sector and soon make the whole drive become inaccessible or died. The best bet is to through it or donate it someone who really needs it and purchase a new one.

P.S. There is an high probability that this drive will die soon and you'll get no way to recover the saved files from dead hard drive.

Shintaro

Reaction score
The only drive test/recovery software that I use and recomend is SpinRite. However it is $89.

Ask a Question