SOLVED Windows Mail Folder

Reaction score
Using Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1.

Moved to Thunderbird so uninstalled Windows Live Mail 2012 because of ongoing issues and non-support. Used the normal Uninstall process via the Control Panel.

Looking under the C: Program Files however, I see there still is a Windows Mail Folder?????

This folder consists of an 'en-us' folder, 'wab' and 'wabmig' app files and 5 '.dll' files.

The 'en-us' folder has two files one a 'WinMail.exe.mui' and the other a 'msoeres.dll.mui'.

Why were these not removed under the Windows Essentials 2012 uninstall process (old 2011maybe???) and should they be forcibly removed (Trusted Uninstaller) or just left??

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes you can delete them if you don't need them.

The DLLs may be protected by a registry entry which may be why they weren't deleted or sometimes DLLs are not deleted in case other programs may still be installed that might use them ... but that's unlikely if there are no other Live Essentials programs that you still have installed.

The wab files are your mail and were left incase you were going to reinstall or upgrade & would want to access your old mail.

And the .mui files are multi-language user interface files to display in alternate languages. They may have been downloaded after the uninstall log was created or some other unimportant reason it wasn't deleted. But if you don't want it, delete it.

Installation programs are notorious for having inaccurate & incomplete uninstall information. If you are concerned about little remnants left around then you should try something like the freeware version of REVO uninstaller.

Reaction score
Appreciate the input. My messages were saved on the IMAP server but had assumed the contact list was to. It wasn't. Luckily I have a 3 year old copy I made and forgot about that I can restart with. Thanks again.

Ask a Question