Random Hangings and Problems at Startup

amq

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a Pentium CPU running at 2.50GHz, 2GB of RAM, a Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT and W7 Ultimate 32-bit.

Since last week, i've been having some big issues during the startup.
The computer will boot just fine, but when the desktop appears, it slows down a lot, with the computer making a very characteristic sequence of sounds. However, CPU usage never goes over 60% and memory usage never goes over 50%.

But the weird thing is, is that most of the times, the computer will eventually speed up, but then, im not able to open anything. I mean anything. No programs, no applications, nothing from Windows Explorer, nothing.
If i'm quick enough, i can manage to open something, but then it will stop working or, in the case of Google Chrome, not being able to access another website, apart from the one in which im already in.

But sometimes, like yesterday, it will boot fine and run trouble free throughout the day.

I've done System Restores, memory checks, registry cleanups, defrags, antivirus checks, removed programs from the computer and the startup, ran startup repair and i run CCleaner regularly (it actually seems to be the best short term cure for it), and no problem went away unfixed.

Any help? What staggers me is that this happened all of a sudden, and it's getting quite frustrating.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why would I have posted what I did, based on your original post?

You asked for help. I provided it.

amq

Reaction score
Why would I have posted what I did, based on your original post?

You asked for help. I provided it.
Im doing it, but it's an innocent question. I just wanna know why am i doing this.

Reaction score
To attempt to fix the issue, of course. It's the first thing needing to be done and has excellent chances.

I'm sure you currently have Norton or AVG, but even if not, still do so.

amq

Reaction score
To attempt to fix the issue, of course. It's the first thing needing to be done and has excellent chances.

I'm sure you currently have Norton or AVG, but even if not, still do so.
I had Avast. I rebooted the computer and now MSE is stuck looking for virus and spyware definitions.

Reaction score
Cool. Let us know how it goes on and if things go well after some time.

amq

Reaction score
Cool. Let us know how it goes on and if things go well after some time.
No. I meant that MSE got stuck because of the compters problems, because nothing would open. And it wont work in Safe Mode.

Reaction score
Hopefully you removed Avast with the tool I linked to.

You're also welcome to type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file and attach it to a post.

amq

Reaction score
I did uninstall with that tool.

Heres the msinfo32 nfo. Its in portuguese, i hope you understand.

Attachments

Reaction score
1) Your Realtek HD Audio driver is very old from before Windows 7 release, at Jan 2009 currently. Update it here:

RtkHDAudio

For quickest results, uninstall the Realtek Audio from device manager while also checking the box to delete the driver. Then run the download setup program.

If you don't do it that way, you'll have to run the program, reboot, then run it again.

2) You have many things starting with Windows that aren't needed and are slowing down the system very much.

Open Regedit then navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Delete these:

Adobe ARM
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
SunJavaUpdateSched

Then navigate to HKU\S-1-5-21-501076549-1781139037-2483401300-1000\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and delete:

Google Update
Oscar Editor

Reboot,

amq

Reaction score
So, its still not working right, and i cant get MSE to finish its virus definitions.

Ask a Question