Random, complete system freezes

Reaction score
Hello all,
My apologies for such a generic title, but I know my freezing problem isn't like the others that have posted...I tried all those solutions (that I could find) and none worked.

I am running W7 Home Premium x64 on a custom PC (specs below). It seems that almost every 24 hours (though not exactly, and it varies each time) I get a complete freeze up of the system. I checked event viewer, and the only errors or critical messages are about the power failure I cause when I force the system down. There are hundreds of warnings, and I have tried to tackle the most prominent in the list. This included printer sharing, spybot scheduled scan, and Acronis TrueImage check. The latest crash had just 1 warning within the hour...

it said:

Source: Wininit | Logged: 6/11/2010 4:12:06 PM
"Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications."

I also had this error: Source: EventLog | Logged: 6/11/2010 4:11:57 PM
"The previous system shutdown at 3:53:13 PM on ‎6/‎11/‎2010 was unexpected."

What's with the time difference? It's almost like when the system freezes the computer is seeing a system shutdown, and when I came into the room and restarted the PC, it logged the error upon reboot at 4:11.

Is there some tool I can run in the background that can catch this program that's causing the freeze and log it?

I've tried:
Manually set my RAM to the correct speed (bios says detects 1066, I set it to 1333)
Disabled printer sharing on the home network
Uninstalled old USB wireless drivers
Uninstalled Chrome Beta
Uninstalled all extraneous software
Disabled any services I could tell I obviously didn't need
Installed all automatic updates that are available.

System Specs:
Intel DP45SG motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
8GB of G.Skill DDR3 1333
HIS Radeon 4870
WD Caviar Black 750GB (3 partitions)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit
MacOS 10.5.7

Noteable Software:
Firefox 3.6.3
IE Uninstalled
AVG Free 9
Solidworks Student 2010
Adobe CS5 Web Premium (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, Bridge..etc)
iTunes 9.1
OpenOffice 3.2
Spybot S&D
CCleaner
Games: Need For Speed Undercover, Sims 3, MotoGP 2008, and Ghost Recon 2

Reaction score
Hi. If you remove that AVG completely with the special tool found here and replace it with MSE, you'll have excellent chances of solving your problem,

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums
Hey thanks a lot for the suggestion! Just curious, is this AVG issue Windows 7-64 strictly? I run it on 2 other XP machines...just wondering. Also, It seems as though this issue arose long after I started using AVG maybe only in the past 6 weeks...is this a new development due to program upgrades and such?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Doing all the debugging that I do, AVG stands out as a notorious causer of bsod and poor system performance in general.

Actually, I had it in mind before I even clicked into your thread. That doesn't guarantee it is the cause of problems, but removing it is definitely the first step in attempting to resolve the issues.

If it doesn't help, type msinfo32 in the start menu and hit enter. On the screen that opens, File | Save. Then zip or rar the compressed file and attach to a post. We can look at this for possible clues to the cause.

At the moment though, as I've said, strong chance that AVG is the culprit here. Let us know either way.

Reaction score
AVG is gone

Hey everyone,

Again, thanks so much for the prompt replies and explanations.

I removed AVG but I guess it will take a few days to decide if it solved anything.

I attached the System Information as requested. For the record, my crash occurred today (6/11/2010) around 4:00pm. If you run across Launcher.exe, it launches a game...despite the suspicious name.

Thanks again!

Attachments

Reaction score
Code:
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys (8.1.1.961,  5.89 MB (6,175,744 bytes), 9/23/2009 6:01 PM)
In the meantime, since your video card driver is from last year, you'd do well to update it from here:

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Just by curiosity, how did you install Mac OSX on your computer?

Reaction score
Quick OS X on PC overview

Just by curiosity, how did you install Mac OSX on your computer?
If you have a system that is somewhat close to a Mac system (Intel Core 2 CPU, Intel motherboard, DDR3, etc) you can install OS X on a PC now that Apple uses Intel x86-based processors. It can take a little tweaking, but my system is now fully supported...Radeon HD, IDT Audio, Intel LAN...it all works. There are now patches and hacks to get OS X on AMD machines even...as well as Pentium 4's.

I installed OS X using a hacked installer disc found on the net called iPC 10.5.6. This is obviously against the law, so I purchased a legal retail installer of Leopard in a store to make myself feel better about it. However, the fine print of the EULA states that the Leopard install DVD is for use of 'installing one copy of Mac OS on one Apple Computer'...so it is still illegal to do this, just keep this in mind if you are interested!

There are new methods available in which you just use a retail OS X disc and a special USB boot drive (google: boot 132 method) to install OS X. All of this does require some tricks and kext file manipulation.

For more info, hit insanelymac.com...those folks can answer anything on this subject. For searching purposes, this process is often referred to as OSx86.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have a system that is somewhat close to a Mac system (Intel Core 2 CPU, Intel motherboard, DDR3, etc) you can install OS X on a PC now that Apple uses Intel x86-based processors. It can take a little tweaking, but my system is now fully supported...Radeon HD, IDT Audio, Intel LAN...it all works. There are now patches and hacks to get OS X on AMD machines even...as well as Pentium 4's.

I installed OS X using a hacked installer disc found on the net called iPC 10.5.6. This is obviously against the law, so I purchased a legal retail installer of Leopard in a store to make myself feel better about it. However, the fine print of the EULA states that the Leopard install DVD is for use of 'installing one copy of Mac OS on one Apple Computer'...so it is still illegal to do this, just keep this in mind if you are interested!

There are new methods available in which you just use a retail OS X disc and a special USB boot drive (google: boot 132 method) to install OS X. All of this does require some tricks and kext file manipulation.

For more info, hit insanelymac.com...those folks can answer anything on this subject. For searching purposes, this process is often referred to as OSx86.

Well, that hacking might be a bit too much for these forums... We better forget the subject before Clifford does something nasty....

Sorry for highjacking....

Reaction score
So Am I understanding correctly that you have multiboot but only get crashes within Win7?

Reaction score
Multi-boot

So Am I understanding correctly that you have multi-boot but only get crashes within Win7?
Yes, that is correct. Both Mac and Linux are stable while Windows 7 locks up. Again, it's possible removing AVG and updating the graphics have resolved the software conflict, but only time will tell.

At this point, I have completely removed AVG and installed AntiVir. I also upgraded the graphics driver...nice catch TorrentG. The system seems great without AVG, not necessarily noticeably faster or anything, but I haven't seen any negative impact. In the long run, it may prove to be an excellent move!

Haha, and don't worry about hijacking, others may have wanted some explanation too!

Thanks again everyone,
Dylan

Reaction score
So far, so good

Well, after two days of steady use, I haven't yet seen a lockup! I work from home, so I will be taxing the machine pretty hard today...we'll see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Your help was greatly appreciated! I will chalk this up as solved on Thursday, should have a good idea by then.

Thanks again,
Dylan

Ask a Question