RAM for i5 750

Reaction score
Hello

Can someone help, I want to upgrade my ram from 4gb to 8gb using 2 x 4gb. My current ram works at 1.5v and 1333mhz. I was going to get some corsair dominator 1600mhz at 1.65v but looking at the intel home page it recommends only using ram with 1333 or 1066 and 1.5v or below.
I did look at corsair's range of 1333mhz but still have a 1.6v.

So can I use this ram with the cpu? I know my motherboard can support it.

My system is:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name WILLMOTT
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model P55-US3L
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, 2661 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. FD, 11/02/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.77 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.99 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.59 GB

cheers

Reaction score
Hi bob70932

CPU voltage is independent from RAM voltage. I'm not sure I am understanding the question correctly. If you know for a fact that your motherboard will support the RAM then you will not have any issues.

There are no compatibility issues between RAM and CPU. It all depends on whether your motherboard will support the components in question. This is why the motherboard is considered to be the backbone of the computer.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The i5/i7 processors are compatible with RAM that operates at either 1.65v or below. So your Corsair sticks should be fine if they operate at 1.6v.

Reaction score
The i5/i7 processors are compatible with RAM that operates at either 1.65v or below. So your Corsair sticks should be fine if they operate at 1.6v.
Ross if my post above is incorrect, I need to know why so I'm not making the same mistake again. Please elaborate on your comment.

Why do you think there would be an issue between CPU and RAM voltage?

This does not make any since to me.
Why would a board designed for i5/i7 support a memory architect which has a voltage level that is to high?
Would this be a limitation of the board design not the CPU?

Reaction score
Hi

I have attached the ram I am looking at. Being new to the computer game I hear it's best the get ram with 1600 mhz but to run it a a lower rate ie 1333mhz. Is this right?

Attachments

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ross if my post above is incorrect, I need to know why so I'm not making the same mistake again. Please elaborate on your comment.

Why do you think there would be an issue between CPU and RAM voltage?

This does not make any since to me.
Why would a board designed for i5/i7 support a memory architect which has a voltage level that is to high?
Would this be a limitation of the board design not the CPU?
This is a limitation set by Intel themselves.. See screenshot which was taken from this FAQ found here:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029913.htm

Attachments

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi

I have attached the ram I am looking at. Being new to the computer game I hear it's best the get ram with 1600 mhz but to run it a a lower rate ie 1333mhz. Is this right?
I guess if you over-clock in the future you will have some headroom but it won't harm the RAM any to under clock it.

Reaction score
What are the Intel® Core™ i7 processor and the Intel® Core™ i5 processor DDR3 memory voltage limitations?
Intel® recommends using memory that adheres to the Jedec memory specification for DDR3 memory which is 1.5 volts, plus or minus 5%. Anything over this voltage can either damage the processor or significantly reduce the processor life span.
OK after reading through the link, I would ask this. If an i5/i7 motherboard supports memory that will damage the CPU, why would the market allow the sales of such a board? I'm still looking at the support list for the motherboard. If the manufacturer states it will work, I have no problem with it.

Reaction score
Ok let me get this right, intel say only use memory at 1.5volt + or - 5%, which if we + is 1.57v. So the ram from corsair which they say is for i5, intell say it is not because it runs at 1.65v?
And if I am not going to overclock my pc I should just stay with 1333mhz as the system will default to this anyway even if I have 1600 mhz ram.

Ross thank for finding the support list, however it does seem a little out of date, could not find any 8gb sets on there.

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=239&c1=1&c2=3

Has anyone heard of this ram?

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I do think you will be fine on 1.65v as the 5% is only a rough guide however if you do still have real concerns I'd try an actual Intel forum. If you have a read around the net then you'll see that these chips are fine with voltages of 1.5-1.65v.

As for the guide, if you can't see a 8GB set is there a 4 or even a 2? If so, then if a certain RAM is compatible using 2 or 4GB sticks then 8GB should be fine.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
clifford_cooley said:
OK after reading through the link, I would ask this. If an i5/i7 motherboard supports memory that will damage the CPU, why would the market allow the sales of such a board?
I with clifford on this. It is up to the motherboard and chipset to determine CPU and RAM support. See Gigabyte and note the memory support list.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
All I did was pass the info on.. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Personally I try to glean as much information as possible and I certainly wouldn't ignore the recommendations from Intel. Mind you, being as most of the RAM set-ups shown in the compatibility list I posted above do actually run at the voltage specified it's rather a moot point.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
All I did was pass the info on.. Please don't shoot the messenger.
I hear you. I get slammed all the time on voided CPU warranties with 3rd party coolers and illegal transferring of OEM licenses.

I agree that you should not ignore recommendations from the CPU maker, but again, it is the motherboard's responsibility to make all the components play well together so, IMO, it is even more important to pay particular attention to what the motherboard makers recommend.

I think, as expected, Gigabyte has it covered noting that the specifications page for that specific motherboard says,
Support for an Intel® Core™ i7 series processor/Intel® Core™ i5 series processor in the LGA1156 package (Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest CPU support list.)

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest memory support list.)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I may be mistaken here, but I don't think so.

The 1.65 vdc for the RAM is probably set that way since the RAM is a performance RAM.

I have Mushkin Blackline RAM, now the standard voltage for DDR2 is 1.8 vdc, but with higher performance RAM sticks it can run from 2.0 to 2.1 vdc. This not only applies to Mushkin brand, but also some RAM sticks from OCZ, Corsair, G.Skill and other top brands.

Reaction score
I didn't want to say anything in the beginning because I really do not know for sure.

This is my thinking though. RAM operates at the voltage of the motherboard. If the motherboard doesn't offer the voltage needed for the RAM to operate then the system will never startup. The performance RAM that Nibs is referring to is RAM that allows for greater over-clocking by increasing the voltages on the RAM modules.

The 1.65V is probably a max voltage and will operate at much less.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
What are you referring to?
I was referring to the RAM voltage settings, it wasn't my intention to confuse you.

It's just that some high performance RAM sticks use the higher voltage for their timing settings.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It's just that some high performance RAM sticks use the higher voltage for their timing settings.
They "can" use, that does not mean it automatically is set to that voltage when you insert that RAM.

If the motherboard doesn't offer the voltage needed for the RAM to operate then the system will never startup.
That is partially true. All RAM needs some voltage to get going - if not enough, then it won't go. Some RAM can take a little more and some can take a lot more. Some will fry if given too much.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
They "can" use, that does not mean it automatically is set to that voltage when you insert that RAM.
You are correct sir. I neglected to mention that. Yes, the DIMM voltage does need to be set in the BIOS since usually the EPP chip on the RAM doesn't do that automatically.

Ask a Question