RAM for i5 750

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes, the DIMM voltage does need to be set in the BIOS since usually the EPP chip on the RAM doesn't do that automatically.
Ummm, no that is not correct. If you leave the BIOS alone, the correct voltages will be set automatically by the Chipset.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Ummm, no that is not correct. If you leave the BIOS alone, the correct voltages will be set automatically by the Chipset.
I am sure that is so in many instances, but with mine I had to set it manually in the BIOS.

I am not disputing you Digerati, just stating what I had to do with my Mushkin Enhanced Blackline RAM sticks.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
but with mine I had to set it manually in the BIOS
Curious - how did you get into the BIOS Setup Menu if the RAM was not working? POST has to complete before access to the BIOS Setup Menu is possible. And for POST to complete, the RAM has to pass the power on self test.

Typically, at most, a BIOS reset is all that is necessary to get "compatible" RAM to work.

I am not trying to dispute you either, I have just never seen it necessary to adjust voltages manually, unless you are overclocking.

Reaction score
All memory manufactured and sold (unless black market or something lol) must meet the spec for what it is. i.e. DDR, DDR2 DDR3

That means standard voltage must work or there is a defect.

Check any memory's spd and it will always show default voltages needed, programmed into the memory itself by the manufacturer. Even OCZ.

Overclocking however, definitely needs voltage raised at times.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had a similar situation with my PC. I've got some Patriot memory in there at the moment and it runs at 2.1v - I had to set it manually in the BIOS too. Without doing that the system wasn't stable and would often hang during games or under load.

I found out about it when upgrading my BIOS and the voltage settings hadn't been moved over - so the voltage was reset to default. It kept crashing and took me a couple of days to figure out why - really had me stumped!

At stock timings and voltages it would work fine, but not with the "4-4-4-12" performance mode.

Reaction score
I had a similar situation with my PC. I've got some Patriot memory in there at the moment and it runs at 2.1v - I had to set it manually in the BIOS too. Without doing that the system wasn't stable and would often hang during games or under load.

I found out about it when upgrading my BIOS and the voltage settings hadn't been moved over - so the voltage was reset to default. It kept crashing and took me a couple of days to figure out why - really had me stumped!

At stock timings and voltages it would work fine, but not with the "4-4-4-12" performance mode.
Right, exactly our point.

Stock = fine.

Performance = voltage raise needed.

:)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I had to set it manually in the BIOS too.
And was this RAM on the motherboard makers list of compatible RAM? I realize board makers cannot test all RAM, but you should still buy RAM that has the same specs as tested RAM.

Of course, if you are planning on overclocking, things may be different. Other than that, I agree with Torrent, the RAM must work at the defaults, or there is a defect, or compatibility issue.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
And was this RAM on the motherboard makers list of compatible RAM?
To be honest, I haven't checked to see if it was on the list - I just looked at the specs of the RAM it said it supported and went from that. :)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, if it said it supported it, then it should have worked with the BIOS Setup Menu set to the defaults, which is "auto".

That said, even if you buy from those QVLs (qualified vendors lists) it is not a sure guarantees the specific modules you get will work. When Man can create perfection 100% of the time, then it will be different. But with the density and speed of today's modules, even the smallest imperfection, or impurity in the raw materials can impact how they work. Even if each chip on the stick is within tolerance, when added together the other 7 or 15 chips, the total can push the limits of acceptable tolerances. When added with other sticks, it can push the total beyond tolerances. This is one reason a stick of RAM can pass all tests, but not work when installed.

Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone, I have had a look at the gigabyte support list but does have a supported ram of 8gb which they have tested. I think I am just gonna try some corsair ram with 1.5 or 1.6v at 1333mhz. Seems like it should work but fingers crossed.

Ask a Question