puter full of sand

Reaction score
Donno why, but my computer is suddenly running so slow I think it's full of sand... at least when I am dealing with Firefox. Photoshop fires along just fine.

I have two gigs of memory, and although Firefox takes maybe 500,000K (I habitually have maybe 7 or 8 tabs up at once), I should have lots of capability left. I have Quad CPU's (TurboV_EVO) and it's generally running with lots of function to spare. Machine used to run quickly enough, but now I'm beginning to scowl. Anyone know what's up with this?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
2GB is not a "lot" of memory for today's computers. In fact 2GB is the minimum recommended for W7 64-bit (1GB for 32-bit).

Still if it was working fine and now is running extremely slow their are a few things to check.
#1, do a virus-scan in safe mode:
Download TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB. If you do not have an anti-virus then download, install, and allow to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). Then reboot your system into safe mode without networking (Reboot and, when it says "Starting Windows," Press F8; If you get a message asking continue in safe mode or perform a system restore, choose continue in safe mode). Now run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill and after that run a full virus scan. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files.

Booting in safe mode makes sure only minimal services/programs are started. TDSSKiller is designed specifically to look for rootkits. RKill is designed to stop the stealthing programs that hide/protect/regenerate some nasty viruses. Running these first will help ensure your A/V has the absolute best chance of cleaning up infected files.

#2 consider changing the anti-virus software you use. To stop viruses most A/V software has to act like a virus and some are slower than others. Consider swapping out your A/V with Microsoft Security Essentials; if it doesn't help you can always go back. NOTE: never run two active A/Vs as that will often slow your computer.

#3 Disable automatic updates for most of your software. Particularly for computers which are normally shut down (like laptops), automatic updates can suck all the bandwidth you have as soon as an internet connection is found. Disable automatic updates of Java, Adobe products, Dell/HP/etc automatic updates, maybe even Windows Updates. Of course then you have to take the responsibility to manually make these updates once a month or so but they won't be using bandwidth and CPU cycles when you need it.

#4 Disable start-up programs & services you don't use. Type msconfig.exe in the start-search and run it. Look under the "startup" tab for programs you don't need. It is always best to look it up the programs on the internet before disabling them, you will have some for your A/V, and for your touchpad and for the extra function keys on your keyboard and you will want to make sure those keep running.

Reaction score
Thanks

Trainable Man, I'll put your suggestions to use, although I have disabled most of my Firefox add-ons and that has done a great deal to help things along ... I did not have that many add-ons working, but they seem to absorb far too much of my computer's attention.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm didn't really mention browser add-ons, those would just slow down your browsing, but it is a good idea to keep those in check too, especially toolbars (uninstall all the toolbars you don't use!).

But I am talking about programs that put themselves into your windows start-up. Whenever you install adobe software it automatically adds update checking crap that runs every time your computer is running even if you don't open an adobe product. I believe Java does too. And if I remember correctly Google for their browser if you have that installed even if you aren't using it. All these things run in the background every time you are logged on. You need to disable programs in msconfig that aren't needed and then just manually run updates once a month or so. And some programs automatically turn back on the auto-update setting every time you manually install the update so for those you have to be vigilant about turning them back off after you manually update.

Ask a Question