Purchasing a new hard drive

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 upgrade currently installed on my hard drive. The drive is old and I am replacing it. Will the same copy work on the new hard drive or will I need to purchase a new copy/license?

Thanks.

Reaction score
You'll need to transfer the current installation to the new hard drive. You will not be able to install a fresh copy on your new hard drive.

Reaction score
You'll need to transfer the current installation to the new hard drive. You will not be able to install a fresh copy on your new hard drive.
That's pretty bogus. I was hoping for a fresh install. So that's meaning you get one "clean install" per copy of Windows 7? What happens when you try to install a clean copy on a new hard drive?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why do you need a fresh install?
You could transfer your existing system, and then do a fresh install.

Reaction score
The same copy you have now will work fine. Obviously you'll just need to perform a new install on the new HD. The Upgrade license can be installed an unlimited number of times, as long as it's only ever installed on one PC at a time.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm not understanding. Here is what I want to do.

I am purchasing a new hard drive to replace my old one (which already has windows 7 on it from an upgrade). When I had XP, I would re-format once a year to clean up my system. Basically I want to install WIndows 7 on my new hard drive. From what I got from your first reply is that it isn't possible.

I don't understand what you meant by "You'll need to transfer the current installation to the new hard drive"

Reaction score
The same copy you have now will work fine. Obviously you'll just need to perform a new install on the new HD. The Upgrade license can be installed an unlimited number of times, as long as it's only ever installed on one PC at a time.
Oh ok, that makes more sense to me. This is sort of how XP worked then.

Since inquiring minds want to know, what happens if you have Windows 7 on 2 pc's? Do they not work? I was also thinking I might keep the old hd and build a 2nd system for backed up files and such.

Reaction score
I thought the upgrade license could be only installed over an existing installation. This is not true?

Reaction score
1) Jon: Nothing happens, but it's illegal unless you have two Windows 7 licenses, and two valid licenses of a prior version of Windows you can upgrade from.

2) George: The Windows 7 upgrade license stipulates that you own a prior non-OEM copy of Windows. This copy cannot be installed on another PC once Windows 7 has been installed, and the installer does not necessarily require that the OS be installed already.

Reaction score
1) Jon: Nothing happens, but it's illegal unless you have two Windows 7 licenses, and two valid licenses of a prior version of Windows you can upgrade from.

2) George: The Windows 7 upgrade license stipulates that you own a prior non-OEM copy of Windows. This copy cannot be installed on another PC once Windows 7 has been installed, and the installer does not necessarily require that the OS be installed already.

Oh!. I don't want to do that then. Thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
I thought the upgrade license could be only installed over an existing installation. This is not true?
Here is the kicker, If Windows 7 Installer finds a previous Installation before you have the options to format. The installer will continue and not ask for proof of previous OS.

Install Windows 7 to the new drive and then disconnect the old drive. If Windows does not find boot files after the old drive has been disconnected. Use the Windows 7 Repair options to replace the missing boot files that were removed with the old drive. I know this seems a bit of a hassle but thats what we all get for saving money on an upgrade DVD.

Here is an article on Windows 7 Startup Repair - https://www.w7forums.com/startup-repair-t441.html

Reaction score
clifford: that's what I thought, so in fact, one could not install windows 7 upgrade on a new blank HD, even if that computer already hosted an installed windows7 (Thrax suggested that since windows 7 upgrade was already installed in the past on that PC, it would not require an upgrade validation) ?

Reaction score
Thrax was pointing out that in order to use the upgrade you must own a license to a previous Windows OS. And for each Install of Windows 7 you will need a valid license for each copy as well as a valid copy of a previous OS for each upgrade. So there would be four license total to use two upgrade installs. I am simply bending the rules alittle to get you back legal, that is if you still have the previous OS license.

Thrax knows what he is talking about. If there is something you don't understand he would explain it in more simple terms for you.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That's pretty bogus. I was hoping for a fresh install. So that's meaning you get one "clean install" per copy of Windows 7? What happens when you try to install a clean copy on a new hard drive?
You can do a clean install of the Windows 7 with an Upgrade disk. I did it last week on friend's computer. His old computer was in slow death... literally. Hard drive was over 12 years old and clicking like crazy.

Built him a new system and used the Windows 7 Upgrade disk, installation went like a charm and no problems whatsoever with activation. It installed as if it was a full retail disk for some reason!?

IF you do have problems; check out this tutorial here: https://www.w7forums.com/clean-install-windows-7-upgrade-media-t2225.html
IT works, if not on method one, it has always worked on method two.

You can do as many clean installs as you want, just as long as it's on one computer only at a time. There is no "install limit" to Windows 7, just one key per one machine.

IF you don't want to go through the hassle of a new install on the new hard drive then install Acronis True Image and use the "Copy Drive" feature to transfer to the new hard drive.

It'll work, believe me! Just remember... one install - one key.

Last edited:

Ask a Question