SOLVED Advice on purchasing an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Reaction score
Due to the fact that my PC is on for almost 24/7 and the fact that I would just leave it in my room with the air conditioning unit turned off in the middle of the day (I live in the tropics and my CPU temps idle at around 45 degrees C and at load would reach 58 degrees C with the stock cooler), I have decided to purchase an aftermarket CPU cooler. But believe when I say I absolutely have no knowledge in the CPU cooler market and this will be the first time that I will be purchasing an aftermarket cooler for a CPU.

After googling for a while checking out reviews and availability of CPU coolers near my area, I currently have set my sights on this one:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thermaltake_frio/

I'd appreciate if anyone with experience with CPU coolers could give a little insight. I'm currently using an Antec Three Hundred case and my RAM is just your normal average-looking DDR3 RAM if those details help.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
100+ reviews on Newegg averaging 5/5 stars.

Sounds like a good cooler.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi shadowalk, long time.

I don't know much about those coolers but 58C isn't any where near critical. If you start running 70-80C for hours on end then maybe think about it.

Here's a handy little app (Core Temp) to monitor and even set alarms or shut down where you set it. I think Draceena turned me on to it.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/supportlist.html

Reaction score
Thanks yodap, I'm getting that app.

Actually this is my main concern right now:

It's currently 12:55 AM here and I have the airconditioning unit on its coldest setting in this room and it is quite cold. I used to get as low as 29 degrees on such environments until recently. Even on an average day with no air conditioning, I used to reach at least 35-38 degrees C average at idle. These current temps are what made think of getting an aftermarket cooler.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Any chance of this app causing harm to your system? The warning may have been for covering their tails, but it implied that it may cause damage on some systems. I'm running it in the sandbox, just in case.

I'm using it, and both core temps are displayed (43C, 34C).

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks yodap, I'm getting that app.

Actually this is my main concern right now:

It's currently 12:55 AM here and I have the airconditioning unit on its coldest setting in this room and it is quite cold. I used to get as low as 29 degrees on such environments until recently. Even on an average day with no air conditioning, I used to reach at least 35-38 degrees C average at idle. These current temps are what made think of getting an aftermarket cooler.
I see nothing at all wrong with those temps, my notebook runs 2 times hotter than that, has for months, but I believe the hard drive rattle is what's going to kill it.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It looks like a great HDT cooler for your CPU.

I would go ahead and get it and you should get lower readings.

My ambient room temperature is about 72 deg. F. and my CPU stays around 31-34 deg. C. I have a Core 2 Duo E8400 Intel @ 3.0GHz.

The temps you posted are a little high if what you state about your room temp being quite chilly.

Get the ThermalTake Frio cooler and also some high-quality thermal compound such Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound which is highly rated.

Reaction score
Just installed the core temp app. Seems to run fine. Shows me at currently 31/30c

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I agree with yodap that your temps are no where near critical - though I start to get a little nervous when I see 60°C - so your high temps are close and need watching. I also agree with Nibiru2012 to use a good TIM (thermal interface material) if you get a new HSF assembly.

However, note that it is the case's responsibility to expel the heat from the interior of your case and it is your responsibility to keep the interior free of heat trapping dust.

Note too if your CPU is less than 3 years old and a retail version that came with an OEM supplied fan, then the warranty covers the CPU and fan ONLY when used together. That is, damage due to heat if a 3rd party aftermarket cooler is used is not covered by either the AMD or Intel warranties.

So, my advice is to make sure the interior of the case is clean of heat trusting dust. Then, if possible, add another or larger case fans to provide better front-to-back air flow through the case. Also, if you have not replaced the TIM on your CPU and it has the OEM thermal "pad", you can achieve a few degrees improvement if you put a properly applied fresh layer of one of the better TIMs.

Then and only then, if that still does not provide enough cooling for your CPU, install a 3rd party cooler.

Reaction score
Looks like I got tempted to hell and gave in. So I went to my local PC store to purchase a nice aftermarket cooler just so for my peace of mind, hehe. Turns out the Thermaltake Frio was out of stock though they did have the Coolermaster V8 and I know I've heard nothing but great things about it all over the internet so I figured what the hell and bought it. It's sitting nice and pretty on my desktop now and holy hell my CPU temps sure did take a plunge! Currently at 31 degrees C right now, anyway thanks all!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
shadowalk that's good to hear! The lower you are able to keep the CPU temperatures the longer life it will have.

That's about a 33% reduction in temps for you. What brand of thermal compound did you use? Did you use the one supplied with the Coolermaster V8 or buy additional?

Glad it worked out for you!

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
.....though they did have the Coolermaster V8 and I know I've heard nothing but great things about it all over the internet so I figured what the hell and bought it.
That's one serious cooler you've got there. Fitted the same (CoolerMaster) for a mate.
He tells me his electric bills have now dropped because he no longer needs a refrigerator. Sticks his milk behind this. :D :D :D

Reaction score
Protecting your investment/hardware is THE BEST advice. Look after it and you'll not need to bother with warranty hassles.
I returned an early failure CPU once and had no hassles. I'd bought it OEM and the only thing they asked me was if I'd used paste, they knew I'd had an aftermarket cooler as I'd also bought that from them as well.
In fact they'd gone so far to suggested a larger cooler as in their words the chip makers one was "just adequate".

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm using the stock thermal compound bundled with the Coolermaster V8.

Apparently, I found that the thermal compound that came with the stock AMD heatsink dried out (funny, I just assembled this PC on late August of last year with all brand new parts except the hard disk) which was probably the cause of the unusual high temps. Doesn't matter now anyway, I'm very happy with the fact that I decided to purchase a good aftermarket cooler.

Reaction score
The only thing I can add too this list is to take into consideration size of CPU cooler and it's horizontal or vertical in position in relation to the rest of your hardware...ie RAM and case side panel. Just something to keep in mind, I learned the hard way with my CPU cooler. It covers two of my ram slots....so to add or remove ram I have to remove the cooler...It's a PITA. Your selection looks to be a good one.

Reaction score
Ahh yes, good thing I learned the value of doing research before purchasing computer parts! This seems to be a primary issue with the Thermaltake Frio cooler and gamers who use 'tall' RAM modules. Luckily, my Kingston ValueRAM modules are about half or less as 'tall' as those gamer RAM modules and the Coolermaster V8 rarely has issues with this kind as compared to the Frio. The Antec Three Hundred case also is an exact fit for the V8 as it barely just touches the opposite panel and the side intake fan is positioned low on the side panel (nearly parallel to but a bit lower than the video card) so it's all good.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I found that the thermal compound that came with the stock AMD heatsink dried out
It was probably one of those paraffin-based compounds. Bad news for sure. If it is pre-applied to the base of the cooler and has a waxy feel to it, then scrape it off with a plastic scraper, old credit card, etc. and clean it with isopropyl alcohol. Then use a good thermal compound such as the new "nanotherm" compounds. Tuniq TX-4 is very good.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm with nibs on the Tuniq since he made me buy it a while back.:) It is very good.

My temps on the Quad core are mid 30C at idle, high 30s to low 40s doing normal stuff and mid to high 50s folding@home all out. The man cave temps are around 62-64F all the time.

I may look into an aftermarket cooler also.

Ask a Question