SOLVED Windows 7 Purchase at Newegg

Reaction score
The "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM" is a system builder license and is not supported by Microsoft. The system builder assumes responsibility for all OS problems. The license can not be transfered to another computer either, once activated the license is locked to the hardware of which it was installed.

The "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Retail" is fully support by Microsoft for any and all problems. The licenses can be transfered to a different computer, activation does not lock license to a specific hardware.

Other than those differences they are pretty much the same. All though the retail version you linked to does not appear to be SP1.

Reaction score
The "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM" is a system builder license and is not supported by Microsoft. The system builder assumes responsibility for all OS problems. The license can not be transfered to another computer either, once activated the license is locked to the hardware of which it was installed.

The "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Retail" is fully support by Microsoft for any and all problems. The licenses can be transfered to a different computer, activation does not lock license to a specific hardware.

Other than those differences they are pretty much the same. All though the retail version you linked to does not appear to be SP1.

Do you recommend going the extra $$$ for the non-OEM version?

Reaction score
That depends on if you think you will ever upgrade your computers motherboard and if you think you will ever call Microsoft for OS issues you may have encountered.

If you can solve all OS issues on your own and will never transfer the Windows license to another computer then the System Builder OEM license would be fine for you.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Clifford. Why can't Microsoft just make it easy!?!? lol

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I would recommend getting the OEM version. You'll save money and regarding motherboard replacement issues, MS will work with the end-user in those situations.

Save yourself some money and enjoy Windows 7.

Reaction score
I would recommend getting the OEM version. You'll save money and regarding motherboard replacement issues, MS will work with the end-user in those situations.

Save yourself some money and enjoy Windows 7.

What do you mean motherboard replacement issues?

Reaction score
If your mobo ever burns or crashes, same for cpu and you have to replace it. A phone call to MS and an explaination as to what happened then MS grants you a knew Product Key or renews the old one.

Reaction score
If your mobo ever burns or crashes, same for cpu and you have to replace it. A phone call to MS and an explaination as to what happened then MS grants you a knew Product Key or renews the old one.
That being for the OEM or the more expesive one?

Reaction score
For the OEM...with the retail version it's transferable, so no need for a call. If your cpu or mobo crashes just buy a new piece and reinstall with the retail version. Now this is where you have to decide which way to go. If you build new systems every year, as some do then I recomend the retail version. If you just build a system every five years or more then opt for the OEM version, like Nibiru2012 suggested.

Reaction score
UGH, I'm thinking of going the pre-build way again, but at the same time I don't want to.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if you go with a pre-built computer that comes from like Dell or HP, etc then it will have an OEM copy on it too. So those are not transferable to another computer either; and you have to call Dell or HP if there is a problem because Microsoft doesn't support them. Plus they install loads of trial software and other bloatware, most of which they get paid to add to your machine, which you end up removing or having it waste hard drive space. And even when removed it normally leaves garbage in your registry.

It doesn't sound like you are the type of person that upgrades computer parts all the time. So if you do build and plan to keep just as built, then I agree with Nibs that OEM is worth the savings. Have you ever called Microsoft for anything ... ever? Most people don't.

Reaction score
Well if you go with a pre-built computer that comes from like Dell or HP, etc then it will have an OEM copy on it too. So those are not transferable to another computer either; and you have to call Dell or HP if there is a problem because Microsoft doesn't support them. Plus they install loads of trial software and other bloatware, most of which they get paid to add to your machine, which you end up removing or having it waste hard drive space. And even when removed it normally leaves garbage in your registry.

It doesn't sound like you are the type of person that upgrades computer parts all the time. So if you do build and plan to keep just as built, then I agree with Nibs that OEM is worth the savings. Have you ever called Microsoft for anything ... ever? Most people don't.

Wow, I never knew that! But I have done some system reformats on my Dell and I didn't have to lookup the license key or anything.

One question, with the OEM for my prebuilt is it:

a. A CD?

b. Can I reformat my prebuilt say if something goes wrong? You said it locks into the hardware, well is that it?

c. If I upgrade say the video card or PSU will I have to buy another one?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
a. preinstalled. Usually you get nothing. You are told to burn a DVD the first time you turn it on; and I encourage you do this because that IS your repair and/or reinstall DVD.

b. you can always reformat but if you didn't burn the DVD then you will need to buy one from the manufacturer to reinstall (or download the ones listed here but they are true Microsoft W7, not the modified versions from your manufacturer). Also before you reformat, make sure you have the product key which is usually on the top, back, or for laptops, underneath ... but if you can't find it anywhere or it is worn off then you need to get it from the current system using software like SIW.

c. No, only if you change the MOBO, and as said, by others above, even then you can usually call Microsoft and indicate you had to fix some components and they will give you the activation code.

Reaction score
a. preinstalled. Usually you get nothing. You are told to burn a DVD the first time you turn it on; and I encourage you do this because that IS your repair and/or reinstall DVD.

b. you can always reformat but if you didn't burn the DVD then you will need to buy one from the manufacturer to reinstall (or download the ones listed here but they are true Microsoft W7, not the modified versions from your manufacturer). Also before you reformat, make sure you have the product key which is usually on the top, back, or for laptops, underneath ... but if you can't find it anywhere or it is worn off then you need to get it from the current system using software like SIW.

c. No, only if you change the MOBO, and as said, by others above, even then you can usually call Microsoft and indicate you had to fix some components and they will give you the activation code.

For AB and C, I meant built, im sorry. Can you anwser them again?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
a) If you buy OEM from Newegg you get one DVD. Be sure to buy the proper bit-size 32 or 64 because you only get one. Unless you have a good hard reason to need 32, you should get 64-bit.

b) The DVD will come with the product key, keep it in a safe place because you need it if you reinstall. You can reformat and reinstall back onto the same computer.

c) Same as above

Reaction score
a) If you buy OEM from Newegg you get one DVD. Be sure to buy the proper bit-size 32 or 64 because you only get one. Unless you have a good hard reason to need 32, you should get 64-bit.

b) The DVD will come with the product key, keep it in a safe place because you need it if you reinstall. You can reformat and reinstall back onto the same computer.

c) Same as above
Wow, thanks man! I think I'm going with the OEM version. If I ever need to upgrade my MOBO (which is highly unlikely, probably the most upgrading I'll do will be the video card when it gets old and the PSU) I'll just call MS.

OK, thanks everyone for the help! :)

Reaction score
Actually guys, one more question.

If I was to go to my local Best Buy, which W7 will I be getting? OEM or regular?

Reaction score
You should be able to get an OEM copy as long as you purchase some hardware, such as a cable or a fan.

Windows 7 Professional X64 OEM is $139.99 at BestBuy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows...1057&skuId=2603254&st=Windows 7 OEM&lp=1&cp=1

So this would be the $99 OEM at Newegg: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows...dows/2731899.p?id=1218348481724&skuId=2731899

And this would be the more expensive, multi license W7 at Newegg: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows...dows/9497555.p?id=1218114707064&skuId=9497555

Sorry for the questions, I just want to make sure before I buy.

Also, does the OEM version come with the pretty little box that they have on display at Best Buy or is it just a sleeve? lol :) Like this:

Ask a Question