Problems moving Live Mail accounts, contacts and email

Reaction score
After the desktop computer I was using until a couple of weeks ago crashed (permanently), I bought a new computer (AMD quad chip, Windows 7 64 bit). I put the main hard drive from the old computer into a case, and was able to connect it by USB to my new computer to save my data (I copied the libraries onto the new computer), but have not been able to find out how to rescue my Live Mail account information, contacts, message rules and saved or unread emails. Any article I find talks about first exporting the information, but since the hard drive that version of Live Mail is on is no longer bootable, I have no way to export the data. If I can find where to locate it, I would like to be able to copy the files into the new computer, replacing whatever files would be set up when I first start Live Mail. The old computer was Windows 7 32 bit. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Larry

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
To import you old mail, select options - import messages and follow the hints. You will need to be able to browse to your old mail installation, which you appear to be able to do.
Contacts:
Click the "contacts" (way down in the nav pane, bottom left) and , on the top menu, import. Follow the directions.

For the remainder: (Message rules etc)
Options again. Select Email accounts and then import.

Reaction score
To import you old mail, select options - import messages and follow the hints. You will need to be able to browse to your old mail installation, which you appear to be able to do.
Contacts:
Click the "contacts" (way down in the nav pane, bottom left) and , on the top menu, import. Follow the directions.

For the remainder: (Message rules etc)
Options again. Select Email accounts and then import.
Hi Dave. Thanks for your reply. I can browse the old drive (now set up as an external), but am not sure where to browse to. Can you tell me the path for the messages, email rules, etc.?

Thanks,
Larry

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It should be under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live"

Reaction score
I've just upgraded to Win 7 from Vista and migrated from Mail to Live Mail. The upgrade package automatically exported my mail and contacts for me, and it seemed OK for a while. However. I've been into Contacts and noticed that some changed I've made to conatcs within Live Mail have not been implemented in \User\Contacts.
I therefore assumed that there was another contacts file somewhere being used for WLM (Why have 2 files for goodness sake!)
One document says it's in
\user\appdata\local\microsoft\windows live\contacts\default\15.4 but this is empty
Another says it's in
\user\appdata\local\microsoft\windows ive mail\contacts but that doesn't exist

with windows Mail I had a small batch file I'd written to automatically copy my contacts and Email to my backup drive and I'd like to continue that.

The export feature is fine, but there are 4 users on my conputer and I need to automate the backup. I don't trust the others to do their own backup.

I've now seen a note in this forum saying that the contacts are not in a readable format.

Any suggestions how to automate backup of several users in Windows live mail?

Thanks

Ask a Question