Problem with Windows Update

Reaction score
For some reason, although it was working yesterday, I cannot get Windows Update to work for me today. If I click on the link from the Start Menu, I get a white screen, and the message "Windows Explorer has stopped working". It then asks to send a dump file to Microsoft, before Windows Explorer restarts.

Anyone had the same problem, or got any ideas how I could resolve this?

BTW - I should mention that all other instances of Windows Explorer seem to be working fine :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
UPDATE - I have found this on another forum. Seems to explain the problem I have experienced...

edit: fix posted:

Open Registry
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Wi ndows\Disabled Sessions
Rename key 'MachineThrottling' to '_MachineThrottling'

Reaction score
2ND UPDATE - a lot of people are now reporting experiencing this problem. It seems that a System Restore can eliminate the problem, and it has been suggested that this could be due to the installation of Java.

Reaction score
ThX!

Wow, thanks, I almost thought I was the only one, but after a good query on Google ("Windows Explorer has stopped working" ("Windows 7" OR Win7 OR "Win 7") "Windows Update" -Vista) I finally found this thread. Seems hard to find solutions while everybody's using Win Vista, and can encounter the same problems XD

But It worked for me!

Ask a Question