SOLVED Problem with search and indexing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently run into problems when using the win 7 (8 as well) search. I have a folder of documents in which the search function just won't work! It would return no results for certain files that were clearly there, in the top directory.

I've read about indexing, how to turn it on, rebuild the index, etc and nothing worked! What fixed my problem in the end was REMOVING the folder from the index, surprisingly. Everything now works as expected and the speed is just fine. I'd just thought I'd post here in case someone had a similar problem.

I wonder why indexing is not working the way it should... I have a feeling it may be related to permissions. See this: http://www.ams.jhu.edu/~dan/Windows Search Problem Solved.html
The above solution did not work for me, but I do feel that this might be related. Anyone else have any ideas? I'm fine with not having that location indexed, but curious to know what could be causing this.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I haven't really noticed a problem on my machine and I cannot say I recall this being brought up on the forum before so I don't have a good answer for you but I will offer a possible alternative:

Some of the regulars like an alternative search program called Everything, find that and other great freeware in our Freeware DB.

Reaction score
Thanks TrainableMan. After removing everything from the indexing options, applying, and then adding some folders back to indexing, things seem to work. (rebuilding the index did not work for me). Weird behavior by windows... although my history was that I upgraded from 7 to 8, and then back down to 7 again, so something may have gotten corrupted at some point.

Anyway, I will take a look at the programs you mentioned. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ask a Question