Avira problem

Reaction score
Can someone please help solve this problem? Avira Free shuts off in my Windows 7 IE 11 in about 9 hours before completing the 12 hour updating required as shown . Is there a way to get it to resume the updating after it disconnects on its own before completion or what can I do to get a complete update. Thanks. B07

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are downloading the Avira software & it does not complete then try installing a Download Manager. A download Manager should give you a resume function.

Reaction score
TM, Thanks for your prompt reply. Can you recommend which DM to use as there are many to chose from and I'm not very computer savvy? Also will a DM resume if the internet connection shuts down? B07

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most browsers have a download manager or there may be add-ons/extensions to the browser. They allow you to resume downloads (if the website allows file RESUME) if they stop for any reason.

Reaction score
Most browsers have a download manager or there may be add-ons/extensions to the browser. They allow you to resume downloads (if the website allows file RESUME) if they stop for any reason.
-------------------------------------------------
TM, I am on IE11, where can I find the download manager or add-ons/extensions to the IE11 browser (if that is it). I'm not very bright on computers. Thanks, B07

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe IE should already have the capability. Click on Tools>View Downloads (or Ctrl+J) and see if the incomplete file has a resume function under "Actions".

NOTE: It also depends on the website from which you are downloading because they must recognize/support the resuming of file downloads

Reaction score
I believe IE should already have the capability. Click on Tools>View Downloads (or Ctrl+J) and see if the incomplete file has a resume function under "Actions".

NOTE: It also depends on the website from which you are downloading because they must recognize/support the resuming of file downloads

Reaction score

Reaction score
TM, tried Tools>View Downloads (or Ctrl+J as you suggested and got the page without anything on it. B07

Reaction score
TM, forgot to tell you I had tried Speedbit (DAP) but it didn't RESUME or I didn't get it to work properly. Are there any you can recommend that might be easier to operate? Thanks B07

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you downloading Avira so you can install it new or is it that you already have Avira installed & Avira is downloading updates for itself? There is a huge difference because if it is Avira downloading its' own updates then no download manager will help. A download manager is only going to help resume a file it recognizes the browser is downloading; Avira is not a browser so if it is controlling its' own update there is nothing to be done.

Reaction score
TM, I already have it installed. I try to update it from the icon shown in the bottom right side where the date and time is, after I'm onto the internet. Hope this answers your question. Thanks, B07

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sorry, I misunderstood. So that is Avira software trying to update itself and unfortunately no download manager can help with that. It is an issue Avira would have had to have built into their software program. Your only hope with that is to contact their support (which is probably non-existent if you use the free version) or check/post to their product forum for other users that had the issue & how/if it was resolved.

This is not a Win 7 issue it is an issue with your Avira software not working properly.

Reaction score
Thanks TM, so what can I do now to solve the problem? Thanks again, B07

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it is a paid version call their support.

If it is a free version they likely offer no support but they may have a forum dedicated to the Avira product where you could post your problem.

You could download the latest copy of Avira using your browser & the Avira website. Uninstall all your current Avira software, reboot, then install the latest & see if you can then, get updates.

Reaction score
TM, Thanks I'll do that. If by chance it doesn't work what other good free Antivirus would you suggest I might consider using? Thanks again for all your help, B07.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No antivirus is foolproof (especially to the talented fool, as the saying goes) but I use Windows Defender (actively) & as a back-up I have Malwarebytes (non-PRO version) which I can run manually.

The best way to avoid viruses is to avoid risky sites & downloads & also do not fall for suspicious emails/attachments.

Reaction score
No antivirus is foolproof (especially to the talented fool, as the saying goes) but I use Windows Defender (actively) & as a back-up I have Malwarebytes (non-PRO version) which I can run manually.

The best way to avoid viruses is to avoid risky sites & downloads & also do not fall for suspicious emails/attachments.
TM, Thanks for all your information.. B07.

Ask a Question