SOLVED Problem with latest CCleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
For the first time since using it, the latest version of CCleaner wouldn't work properly on my 64 bit install of 7 Ultimate. I updated it from a prior version, which was working fine. Yesterday was when the problem was noticed, it would only delete Windows Log files, and everything else was left behind. I mean, it wouldn't even show what needed cleaning.

So, using Revo, I uninstalled it, and fresh downloaded another of the same latest version, the same thing happened. Then, I went to File Hippo, selected the next recent one (the prior version), downloaded it, installed, and everything was perfect.

The problem version was 2.35.1223

Anyone else having problems?

Cat

Reaction score
3 machines here with 2.35.1223 - all has been going well on them, without issue.

Reaction score
I am also using the newest version of CCleaner with no issues. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am also using it without problems. Bit weird?
By default, this is what it is supposed to delete:

View attachment 1494

(Windows 7 64 and 32Bit)

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Like I said, it was the first time that I had any problem with CCleaner. It's been so trustworthy, that I was scanning for viruses or malware. Perhaps there was a bug in the download. But it was installed twice, with the same issue.

So, I reverted to the one that I last used. Anyway, it now runs fine.

Cat

Reaction score
Which version # Cat? Is it only the 64bit version with problems?

I am running 2.35.1223 just checked it's the latest version. Running fine for me.

Reaction score
No problems here with CCleaner 2.35.1223, Cat. It's working very well on my x64 desktop, but I always download the slim version, which is sans toolbar. If you still have issues with this version, you may want to uninstall completely and try the slim version, which can be found here .. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds.

Don't know if it really matters in the long run, but I never *update* a program. I always completely uninstall it and download the new version, just to make certain that the new version doesn't conflict with something that may have inadvertently been left behind from the previous version.

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
The only thing I noticed (and I've never seen this before) was in Programs and Features where I had two CCleaner entries, one for the old, one for the update. :confused: :dontknow:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm running two versions back and I'm not going to upgrade till the next version just in case. I read the update log and it says the only change from the previous to this was a fix for finding flash entries. Generally the monthly updates are just to catch a few extra files to delete so I'm often a few versions back because I don't much care if I have a couple hundred extra bytes on my 1TB harddrive. So thanks for the warning, even if most people don't seem to have an issue.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I really don't know what happened, it worked fine on the other two partitions (all 64 bit), and I did remove the app with Revo prior to installing the new version. I always (when possible) remove the older version of a program before installing the new one.

Also, I did a full scan with three products (MSE, MBAM & SAS) and found nothing, except a few tracking cookies. It must have been either a corrupted download, or plain bad luck.

Oh well, it's fixed now.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I did remove the app with Revo prior to installing the new version. I always (when possible) remove the older version of a program before installing the new one.
I have Never removed the old ccleaner first, I just install over-top and I don't allow it to create links in desktop, start or quick - I just keep using any old ones I had. ccleaner seems pretty smart about reusing the same old directory and filenames and this way I never accidently install that dam* toolbar because I know to uncheck everything on that option window.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have Never removed the old ccleaner first, I just install over-top and I don't allow it to create links in desktop, start or quick - I just keep using any old ones I had. ccleaner seems pretty smart about reusing the same old directory and filenames and this way I never accidently install that dam* toolbar because I know to uncheck everything on that option window.
Ditto here too! Never had a single problem.

A lot of these free software applications seem to include the Ask.com toolbar and homepage options, which I think the software developer gets a little kicker back from Ask.com if the user installs it.

Reaction score
There is a slim version of CCleaner that contains the program only, sans toolbar. You can find the download link here .. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds.

CCleaner - Slim
Installer, no toolbar
1,157 kb - ccsetup235_slim.exe

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, everything you download, especially free apps, wants to install a toolbar. Once in a while, I'll miss the option to uncheck it, prior to install. I don't care for toolbars at all. CCleaner even uninstalls many of these, too.

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question