Is there a compatibility problem with latest W-7 updates?

Reaction score
W-7 updated on my computer overnight indicating it was correcting USB issues, etc. Now I am unable to access the internet due to an incompatibility notice from my netgear usb wireless adapter and suddenly unable to find usb sticks on the system. New usb sticks do not register either. My windows 8 computer sees the sticks and wireless fine.

Freaking frustrating!!!

Reaction score
I don't have a solution for you except the one that has already been suggested to you. So, I won't repeat.

Just curious........
What Win 7 version do you have ?
Mine is a Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.
My last update was Feb 21st and it was for Windows Defender. See screenshot.
What is your update KB number ?

Image 5.png

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most people use the default settings for Windows Update. This means that recommended updates are treated the same as critical updates. Driver updates that Microsoft receives from companies like Netgear will show up in this recommended category. Unfortunately sometimes there is not enough detailed information in your hardware to differentiate between a driver that is correct for your Netgear device versus another similar model; when this happens you can get an incompatible driver. What is even worse, even if you back out the driver, windows update will continue to reinstall it.

There is a good probability that this is what happened to you and you now have an improper driver installed for your device. If so, then you need to go to Control Panel > Device Manager and locate your Netgear device under Network Adapters. Open the Properties and in the drivers tab, roll-back the driver. This is an issue with Netgear's installation of drivers, Microsoft merely passed them on to you.

However, to keep it from happening over & over you will want to run Windows Update manually and find that Netgear driver and right-click, then choose "hide update".
WinUpdt-HideOptions.jpg
Unfortunately if they distribute another one it could come back. If you wish you can change the default to NOT download recommended updates, but then you will want to take the responsibility to check for & download them on your own, maybe once a month or so.
WinUpdateSettings.jpg

Ask a Question