SOLVED Problem Swapping Hard Drives

Reaction score
My desktop C drive (which carries the OS and all software) started clicking quite loudly a couple of weeks ago which corresponded with the computer misbehaving at times. It is an 8 year old Seagate hard drive so I figured I had the perfect excuse to replace it – with an SSD.

Because my present installation of Win7 and software is more than 2 years old and has been subjected to all sorts of amendments and tweaks - I decided that I would do a clean install of Windows 7 Professional using my Microsoft Win7 Upgrade DVD using the registry tweak method to activate it - as recommended on this forum. This to be followed by a clean install and set-up of all my software.

All my data and documents are stored on a separate hard drive - so there was no need to re-install any of this. I just had to use Windows Explorer to alter the location for the docs, pictures, music and videos to the existing D: drive

However – I realised that this would involve me in many hours of work over 2 or 3 days and I wanted to be able to continue to use my computer for Emails and web browsing. I therefore installed the new SSD in a spare slot and connected it to a spare SATA socket on the mobo. I left the previous C: drive connected for the time being.

The result was that each time I booted the computer, after the BIOS loaded, I got a message “Choose the Operating System to Start” with two Win7 installations listed. If I clicked on the first one – then the SSD would load Windows – and if I clicked on the second one, Win7 would load off the old hard drive. This served its intended purpose and allowed me to use the computer off either drive as required.

Once I had got all my software installed and properly set-up on the new SSD I decided to disconnect the Old hard drive and move its SATA connection to the SSD. Upon booting I set the boot sequence to DVD followed by the new SSD.

This has resulted in a problem – when I boot the computer I get a message asking me to load boot media – or words to that effect. The computer will not boot off the SSD if the old hard drive is not present. I assume there must be a file on the old hard drive that the computer needs to boot from that is missing on the new SSD.

I have therefore re-connected the old hard drive so that I can again use the SSD installation. But the question is – what do I need to do in order to remove the old hard drive and be able to boot from the SSD.

Mobo : ASUS P5QL socket 775
CPU : Intel Core 2 quad Q9650 3.0 GHz
SATA set to AHCI
8GB RAM

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not a SSD expert but for standard hard drives this usually works:
Disconnect the "old" hard drive and put the SSD on your first SATA slot. Put the W7 DVD into the DVD-Rom. Boot up with the DVD and do a Start-up repair. It should create boot sector "stuff" on your SSD where before it got it from the "old" hard drive.

Reaction score
I'm not a SSD expert but for standard hard drives this usually works:
Disconnect the "old" hard drive and put the SSD on your first SATA slot. Put the W7 DVD into the DVD-Rom. Boot up with the DVD and do a Start-up repair. It should create boot sector "stuff" on your SSD where before it got it from the "old" hard drive.
Thanks for the suggestion - but I'm afraid it didn't work. I ran the "Start Up" repair as suggested with the SSD in SATA 1 and the old drive disconnected.

The computer will still only boot if both drives are connected and with the old drive in the SATA 1 slot.

If the SSD is in SATA 1 and the old drive in SATA 2 I get this message on boot up

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Reaction score
See if these instructions help you on your journey.
The problem is that if I boot off the Windows 7 DVD and select "Repair Computer" there is no Windows 7 installation for me to select in the list - it is completely blank.

THe Windows 7 installation on the SSD is not detected - although it is working fine when loaded with the old hard drive connected.

Reaction score
I have tried all the cures listed here and on another Windows forum I frequent - without success.

Hence I have bitten the bullet and installed Win7 again from scratch with just the SSD installed. It has taken 4.5 hours so far - mainly because there were 123 microsoft updates totalling 260 MB to be downloaded and installed.

I am part way through loading up all my sofware. This post allowed me to test the IE9 setup is OK

Thanks for your suggestions though.

Now to get stuck into loading MS Office and all the other software.........................and updates!!!

Ask a Question