Problem booting up PC

Reaction score
My nephew got a laptop at Christmas but last week when he switched it on it wouldn't boot up and he gets the following message:
"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.
This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File:\Boot\BCD
Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred"

I created recovery and repair disks in Dec when it was first switched on and have tried to reboot from these. The computer tells me that it's starting windows but nothing happens but a black screen.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Many thanks for any assistance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Like the message says, it is likely "faulty hardware". Luckily it should still e under warranty.

If you drop into the BIOS on boot up see if it is detecting the HD with the proper size. May be something as simple as a faulty Hard Drive.

Shintaro

Reaction score
It really sounds like a hardware problem.
You could try booting from a Windows 7 DVD. See if it finds problems to fix.

If it is a new Laptop, maybe covered under warranty??

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
Shintaro, the laptop came loaded with Windows 7 so I don't have a DVD.

TrainableMan, I assume the BIOS is F2. It tells me in the BOOT section that a HDD/SSD called Toshiba MK3275GSX is there but no size is next to it.

I'll pass it back to my brother in law to take back to PC World as he bought it a the end of Nov.
Thanks very much for the help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On another computer you can download and burn a W7 disk (follow links HERE) but be sure to get the same version (likely Home Premium) and same bit size (x86 for 32-bit, x64 for 64-bit). I'm not sure what booting to it can do but, it never hurts to have a copy and you can always see what it says.

Generally on the BIOS screen it lists your hard drives their size. What happens if you select that drive in the BIOS?.

BTW, for anyone else reading this, to get to your BIOS it could be F2 or F10, F11, F12, or Delete, or Esc; it depends on the brand computer.

Reaction score
On this forum I just posted "Wont Complete Boot' & then while looking around I saw your post above so I went to the link and I'm downloading the following;
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso 2147483647 X17-24209.iso Windows 7 Home Premium x64 English

After reading the posts below all those download links I gather I'm downloading a New Win 7 OSP disk? I have my disc of Win 7 OSP I purchased when they came out. If it is the same it never hurts to have a spare on hand.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
rgh, you are downloading the official Microsoft W7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1 edition which requires a W7 Home Premium key to be used.

If you bought your computer from Dell or HP or Sony, etc they use an OEM version and they generally tweak it to include extra garbage (trialware, etc) but they also often include drivers and the occasional piece of useful software; if you need any of those extras you will need to visit your manufacturers website.

Reaction score
Thats what I thought so will keep so will keep the disk as a backup to my original since I went to the trouble of downloading. My PC is self constructed or destructed as you wish.

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if your original is not SP1 then you will want to use this new one if you ever reinstall.

Ask a Question