SOLVED Problem attaching pic to email...

Reaction score
I have WLMail 2011, Mozilla Firefox, Windows 7 64bit

I saved (or at least I think I saved) 6 pictures from a CD in My Pictures folder. I opened my compose email and clicked on the attachment icon which brings out those pictures. I click on each one of them and they get attached in my email but...and here’s the problem: it’s ALL red!!! It says on top “Windows Photo Viewer”. In addition, this all red window has no button to click to give instructions to so I have to cancel it by clicking on the X so...how I was able to attach 3 of them (albeit ALL red)...I have no clue!

How can I attach these pictures as easily as I can attach all others from the internet or other emails? Is it because I have them in a CD? Or because, maybe, of this “Windows Photo Viewer”??? When I saved it, it didn’t look at all as when I saved other pictures where it asks where or how to file...

It’s a puzzle for me to describe this accurately but I hope I did. Thanks so much for your help! :) Adela

Reaction score
Hi Adela, I use WLM 2010 so can't give exact wording.
Click the top left box, options > mail, look for attaching picture option and untick it. Its about using photo mail.
When attaching photos use insert instead of attach.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Second item along the (Full) menu you will see " Photo Email" Click that and just follow through.

Reaction score
Second item along the (Full) menu you will see " Photo Email" Click that and just follow through.
Hi and thanks davehc! But I finally got the attachment to go however, when I click on the attachment before sending to see how it came out...it's ALL RED and occupying the entire wide screen!

Thanks again. :) Adela

Reaction score
Hi Adela, I use WLM 2010 so can't give exact wording.
Click the top left box, options > mail, look for attaching picture option and untick it. Its about using photo mail.
When attaching photos use insert instead of attach.
Thank you Roderunner, but, as I explained to davehc, I got it to implant the attachment to my email but it comes out ALL RED and in a wide screen!

BTW, my version doesn't have "Attaching picture" option. Also, both "Insert" and "Attach" takes me to exactly the same point. :)

Thank you very much! Adela

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi Adela. I feel it is a problem with whatever program you are using as your default, to "View" pictures. I have just worked through the process and "Attached" after using the "Photo Email" option. I tried several options of picture size, etc, but could not emulate your problem. (Fwiw. For expedience, I just used "Paint")

Reaction score
When sending mail, click on 'Insert' then 'Inline'. That's how mine works, I did say my description was iffy.

Reaction score
Hi Adela. I feel it is a problem with whatever program you are using as your default, to "View" pictures. I have just worked through the process and "Attached" after using the "Photo Email" option. I tried several options of picture size, etc, but could not emulate your problem. (Fwiw. For expedience, I just used "Paint")
Dave, the program I see in my email is "Windows Photo Viewer", is this a good one? The other photos I attach to an email come out normal, so perhaps it isn't the program?

Don't wish to take any more of your time as this must be a MS glitch. Thanks much for trying to help! :) Adela

Reaction score
When sending mail, click on 'Insert' then 'Inline'. That's how mine works, I did say my description was iffy.
Sorry don't have 'Inline' after clicking on 'Insert' either. I guess they money around with the different versions to give us all migraines! lol! Thanks very much for trying to help. :) Adela

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Just ad addition, Adela.
If you open Options - Mail - Compose
Under PhotoMails you can tick the box, which will "auto" your photo procedures in the future.

Reaction score
Hi Adela, Good news + Bad news, I have just installed and removed WLM 2011.
In between times, I experimented with adding pictures. It does'nt matter how they are added, they show in the main body of the email of the person you send them to. BUT not if using WLM 2011.
If your interested in using WLM 2010 or just trying it, its attached.
Before installing, remove all Windows Live Essentials, reboot, unzip my file, right click > properties and unblock. Right click again and run as Administrator.
I'm always here if you need any advice (its free) View attachment WLM 2010.zip

Reaction score
Thank you Dave, I followed the path you gave me and that box was already ticked. The only bad thing now is that, as mentioned, the end product is all red... :( Adela

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That is NOT correct. I have been using WLM 2011 since its Beta and thereafter release. It has no problem with pictures . They can be shown as attachments,or in the main body. (or both)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Adela, could you take a screenshot and then use the "go advanced" button here and select the paperclip to upload a pic of the red pic (because like Dave said, that isn't correct, it shouldn't be like that)?

If you view photos with picture viewer by itself ... like go into Windows Explorer to My photos and simply right-click on a photo and select preview, is it red in that window as well? Because there is a fix if Photo Viewer is displaying with a tint. I had that issue myself.
A tinting effect by Windows Photo Viewer may occur because an incorrect color profile is used for the monitor device in the Color Management setting.

To fix it:
1. Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Color Management
2. Select your display device
3. Check the box “Use my setting for this device”
4. Click Add
5. Choose “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” (this is the color profile that IE is using)
6. Set it as default.
NOTE: I had to reboot before the fix was effective.

Last edited:
Reaction score
TrainableMan: As to this: " 5. Choose “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” (this is the color profile that IE is using)" does it make a difference that I have instead Firefox? For some time now I’ve been wondering whether I shouldn’t go back to IE8...

This “redness” happens only with the 6 pix in the CD I had made, out of old B&W paper pix. All other photos I have in the pic folder, color or not, come out very normal. I go >Start >Pictures and double click on the album and it shows all 6 pix totally normal. I click on each pic and they show normal in the Preview...It’s when I double click (to send it to the email) that it instantly becomes red and taking up most of the screen. I also tried it, as you suggested, in the Windows Explorer and all my other pix are normal...except any of the 6 pix which still come out red. [SIZE=+0]I made a screenshot of the red pic and posted it here and oh surprise! I think it’s normal[SIZE=+0]!?[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Davehc: [SIZE=+0]20110910_1827_58.rar For some reason I can’t open this link...On the first window I OK to “Open with Browse”, then “To open this file Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it.” Then tried clicking on the little “Downloads” window and on “Open containing folder” and....it shows a long list of what seems like temp files... I’m so sorry to be such a computer dummy! :D
[/SIZE]

Roderunner: You are fed up with WLM 2011 too ??? It has MORE glitches than I have hairs on my head! And the same glitches come back after they "fixed" them...and their forum is so difficult to get into! At first I got desperate and I wanted to go back to the previous version (though I had it for a very short time when I bought the computer), but I realized that (1) it wasn’t going to be much better than the BETA and (2) I got accustomed to the little improvements of the 2011... However, I’ll keep the link you gave me as one never knows “do one”?

Thanks so very much to all for your kindness! :) Adela

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
TrainableMan: As to this: " 5. Choose “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” (this is the color profile that IE is using)" does it make a difference that I have instead Firefox? For some time now I’ve been wondering whether I shouldn’t go back to IE8...
This has nothing to do with your choice of browser. It is merely telling you to choose the same color profile that IE uses. Also if this does not happen to all your pictures, only your old B&Ws then I do not believe this is your issue, though it shouldn't matter if you try it.

This “redness” happens only with the 6 pix in the CD I had made, out of old B&W paper pix. All other photos I have in the pic folder, color or not, come out very normal. I go >Start >Pictures and double click on the album and it shows all 6 pix totally normal. I click on each pic and they show normal in the Preview...It’s when I double click (to send it to the email) that it instantly becomes red and taking up most of the screen. I also tried it, as you suggested, in the Windows Explorer and all my other pix are normal...except any of the 6 pix which still come out red. [SIZE=+0]I made a screenshot of the red pic and posted it here and oh surprise! I think it’s normal[SIZE=+0]!?[/SIZE][/SIZE]
If this only happens to 6 pictures out of an entire CD then I would suspect that what is happening is that those 6 pictures are stored with a different palette and so when displayed along with others pictures using a standard palette the colors change. And yes when posted here it does look normal. What I would suggest is that you email it to yourself and see if what you get looks normal. If it does then I would likely accept it and just deal with it. If that won't do then I would pull them into a program that edits pictures and then I would do "save as" and store it with a different name and see if it still is red.

Davehc: [SIZE=+0]20110910_1827_58.rar For some reason I can’t open this link...On the first window I OK to “Open with Browse”, then “To open this file Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it.” Then tried clicking on the little “Downloads” window and on “Open containing folder” and....it shows a long list of what seems like temp files... I’m so sorry to be such a computer dummy! :D[/SIZE]
RAR is a compression method. Windows 7 has built-in support for zip files but rar files are usually smaller (better compression scheme) but to unrar the files you need software that can handle it. The inventor is WINRAR and they charge for their product but there are several free programs which can open rar files even though most can't actually create them. A good example you might install is 7-zip.

Reaction score
Hi again TM...

I sent it to myself (didn't think before) and it does arrive normal, so as you well say, I'll just ignore the red pix!

If this only happens to 6 pictures out of an entire CD then
The 6 pix are all the pix in this CD so why it does this? Only the guy who put together the program knows... lol!

I'm so relieved now, thanks so much for all the good explanations. :) Adela

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you change the "Rar" to "Zip" I understand it will open. My movie just shows how easy it is to place pictures in Live mail - it does not deal with your red picture. I have no solution to that but maybe trainable man can pursue that path?
I've put it into zip format for you.

View attachment 3497

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's only 6 pictures, she has decided to live with it. I gave my speculation which is that those 6 may use a custom palette or something that the WLM attachment editor can't display properly.

Ask a Question