Print Screen to Printer

Reaction score
Hi, working in office environment and require the need to print the screen directly to the printer for next department and have been using Print Screen key with no issues until Win 7 came along, now I have to paste the Print Screen into paint or another 3rd party program, I dont have time to do this, I would like to know how can I press the Print Screen button and have the screen printed directly to the printer 'without' opening, pasting, printing.

Thanks
Johnno

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Perhaps I am mistaken, but I do not recall ever having such a function in XP. In my useage, the PrtSc (is that what you mean?) function was a graphic interpolation, as was Ctrl P. Both operate (for me, in exactly the same way as they did , to my recollection, in XP. ie. They bring up the printer window, where you must select the function you then require. Here's an example of what appears, by default, under one of my old lasers, using either key combination..

View attachment 1619

P.S.

Just checked this on my wife's XP machine - exactly the same.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is they have a programmable keyboard and had mapped the key to do an actual print rather than a screen capture.

Reaction score
A good free Win 7 compatible screen printer is Gadwin Printscreen. (www.gadwin.com/download/)
Be sure to select the free version because they also sell a professional version. Version 4.5 is current as of 20 Jan 2011. The zip file is 2.72 mb.
You can select all or any part of the screen and direct the captured image to printer or to a file. Just be sure to right-click on the icon to setup source and destination before pressing the print screen key.
I have used this free utility many times since the days of Windows XP and am fully satisfied with it. Just got WIn 7 so am not sure if the in-built snipping tool of Win 7 offers the same capabilities as Gadwin Printscreen.

Ask a Question