SOLVED Pre-moving router help needed

Reaction score
Next month I'm going to be moving and finslly ditching AT&T's slow dsl. The house I'm going to be renting a room in has wirless internet through Bright House. I need help configuring my Netgear WNDR 3700 router once I move. It's currently hard wired to my desktop pc. I've ordered the following wireless dual-band adaptor already, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056 I'm also using a Xbox 360 as a extender in WMC. I basically need help on what setting's to change in my router and also how to setup the wireless adaptor in the router. If I'm not mistaken, all wireless features in the router's settings are disabled, as is the firewall in my dsl modem. The dsl modem will be history when the move happens, as it's for my AT&T dsl.

Reaction score
If the house your moving to has wireless all ready, all you need is the SSID and password from the landlord to connect. Otherwise to have you own internet, you'll have to have a provider come out and install it from scratch to that room.

Reaction score
No, it already has the service, etc. through Bright House. Guess, I'm good to go as the adaptor arrives here Monday. Just wanted to double check, as this is going to be my first time with wireless networking. It's definitely going to feel weird having a connection faster than 1.0 mb. That's the only bottleneck my pc has. Definitely going to feel good to be rid of it. The dsl is 768 kbps to 1mbps at most.That 1 mb connection takes until midnight to happen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is this a desktop setup or laptop setup that you're wanting to connect to wireless? If this is a desktop and it's your primary PC, I would highly recommend a LAN connection instead of wireless. If possible at all possible.

Reaction score
It's a desktop. That's why I ordered that specific wireless adaptor, as it supports both 2.4 abd 5.0 GHz. like my router does.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You'll just need to reset the Netgear back to factory default settings. Press the little recessed red button on the back of the router for about 5-8 seconds. You'll see the LEDs flash and cycle. Release the button when you see that, then login to the router and your wireless connection should be active then.

You'll need to secure the router and set up a router name (if desired) and then a secure password too.

Use this IP address to get to your router's login page: http://www.routerlogin.com/cgi-bin/index.html

Default user name is: admin
Password is: password

Go here: ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR3700_UM_16OCT2009.pdf to get your user manual for your model router if you don't have an existing copy.

Then you should have no problems.

Reaction score
Thanks Nibs. The wireless adaptor came today. It won't be until August 3rd or 4th before I can try any of this, as that's when I'm moving. I had a few medical curve balls thrown at me over the weekend. They need my attention first One scare's me. the other one not so much.

Ask a Question