SOLVED Power Supply brands

Reaction score
I will vote for Corsair, Antec, & Thermaltake.
Please keep in mind I really don't know. :)

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Ok, sweet. Is there a cheaper good one though? I know you get what you pay for, but $110 isn't in my price range. I could fit it in possibly but as a back up, what's another brand?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Very true Goober, cheepo ones are a bit naff and will break down ... no power and a Computer is just a lump of metal and plastic that you cant do a thing with.

Reaction score
Here's another post suggesting the Corsair, I and 4 of my friends have the same model, but we aren't sharing the same model in all of our computers. ;)

Reaction score
Well BetaMan... you wont need a new PSU yet, the Radeon HD 5770 is only 108 watts max, and your Athlon 64x2 6000+ depending on if you have the old version, is 89 watts max. And unless your mobo drinks up 250-300 watts (which is not like Gigabyte to produce that) then you should be good.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yeah, but I'm planning on getting a quad core so I might as well get one.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi BetaMan
In your first post you said
I'm gonna shoot for 750W
If you go 750W even with quad core your going to have power to spare and thats a lot better then having (just enough) so go for the new PSU mate :top:

Reaction score
Well, im probably running on "just enough" then... i have a 500W PSU on my Radeon HD 5770, as well as my Phenom II Quad at 3.5GHz, on a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P. The fact that I have less available power doesn't seem to be effecting my computer at all, though it is slightly friendly on the power bill ;)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi WindowsGeek

I'm running Corsair TX 750W, ATI Radeon HD 5970, Intel i7 950, maybe not so friendly on the power bill ...... but you never know when that OCing bug may bite ;)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
ThermalTake has a pretty decent "Power Supply Calculator" page. Go HERE

I use a bGears B-Tarantula 550 Watt Modular Power Supply and it has received VERY good reviews! They also make a 650 Watt unit.

Bgears 550 Watt Tarantula Review

ccokeman - December 27, 2007

Conclusion: So how did the big bad spider do in the testing? Pretty well, actually! When loading the system, the voltages rarely fluctuated from the readings at idle. The 12volt lines measured 12.10 volts each at idle and 12.09 volts under load. The 5volt and 3.3volt lines each had a fluctuation of only .01volts from idle to load. To say I was surprised is an understatement. The semi-modular design is different from other fully modular designs. The ATX 20+4 and 4+4 pin auxillary power are both non-modular connections. This is both a positive and negative in my opinion. Positive because there are no breaks in the wiring to cause power supply or regulation issues because of increased resistance. A negative for the fact that even with the breaks in the wiring with a fully modular power supply there have been no side effects from the break in the wiring to create the modular connections.

The finish appears to be baked on since I did not cause any damage while installing it or opening the Tarantula's case. With an efficiency rating of up to 86%, this unit could help out with the energy bills that only seem to be creeping upwards. If you need a power supply with tight voltage regulation, low noise (even under load) that can handle a newer rig with multiple video cards and a quad core CPU, you should give the Bgears Tarantula a look before you buy!

Pros:

• Functional
  • Good Looks
  • Power Regulation
  • Modular Design
  • High Efficiency
  • Sleeved Cables
  • 135mm Fan
  • Low Noise
SOURCE

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/bgears_550watt_tarantula/

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Another nice design on some PSUs is detachable cables (keeps your system tidy and good for air flow if your air cooled)

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to that Thermaltake PSU calculator :D except the only thing that confuses me is it recommended 376W for my power supply, although surely I am using more than that, with my OC graphics and CPU... though they are minor OCs at best, I would go higher if my heatsink would support that. Anyway, back on topic. I was rather shocked that I am getting by with room for the future on my old CoolerMaster 500 PSU, and i'm rather happy about that!

Ask a Question