Power Supply won't turn off automatically

Reaction score
Well, everything was working fine, until I decided to upgrade my 1 TB root drive to two. I used a Ghost backup to copy the one drive's information on to the other. Then I upgraded my other drive and wiped the 1 TB drive. Now, everything is as it was. Except that when Windows 7 (32 bit Ultimate) shuts down, it doesn't turn off the power supply. Any ideas? Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless you flip the switch in the back or pull the cord the power supply always has power. Are you saying your computer is still on? or a fan is running or what?

Reaction score
Unless you flip the switch in the back or pull the cord the power supply always has power. Are you saying your computer is still on? or a fan is running or what?
The OS is shut down, no signal is going to the monitor, so it is in sleep mode, yet the fan is still on.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sleep & Hibernation are not the same as Power Off; if you told it to "Shut down" and a fan is still running that is very very odd and I would check your wiring or see if your PSU has an automatic fan for heat dissipation.

If your computer is in sleep or hibernate mode, some items may not have power saving modes or they may need power settings set in device manager. There are also Power Options in Control Panel though I don't know what you would change there to help this issue.

Afraid I don't have any other ideas.

Reaction score
Nope. Not wiring. Only difference between when it was working and now is a new hard drive.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Is it in Sleep Mode, or are you totally shutting it down?

If everything shut down completely before the drive swap, then it has something to do with the HDD, either with the data on it, or how it was handled during this time. Did you shut down prior to removing & replacing these drives? And unplugged it?

The reason that I ask this, is that static or sparks can cause damage. Exchanging HDD's (or any other part) with power on (or even plugged in) can cause sparks, which can do anything.

Cat

Reaction score
The computer was shut down and grounded. No sparks. No static.

The computer is not in Sleep Mode. It is totally off. But the fan continues to run. I can re-install the OS from back-up again, but I would prefer to exhaust all of my options before doing that.

I can plug in a hard Drive with Vista on it, and the system will shut down fine. So it is either the new hard drive or the OS. I just never heard of a hard drive causing this.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That narrows down the issue a lot. Fortunately, you have a backup of the previous install. Format the drive again and apply the backup to it. A total wipe isn't necessary again, being that it was just done.

Then, you'll know if it's the HDD or not for sure. I've never had any computer to act like this after total shutdown.

You can use one of the free partitioning tools to format the drive. I usually run it twice, it doesn't take long at all. MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition will do this for you.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have the W7 Repair disc? It might be worth a try to pop it in and run repair, just to see if it finds any corrupt system files.

Also when you installed W7, did you install to a fresh HD or did you install over an existing Vista OS? There are numerous issues caused by upgrading over rather than doing a fresh install so you might consider formatting a HD and installing W7 fresh. No guarantees it would help your situation at all; quite unusual.

Reaction score
Do you have the W7 Repair disc? It might be worth a try to pop it in and run repair, just to see if it finds any corrupt system files.

Also when you installed W7, did you install to a fresh HD or did you install over an existing Vista OS? There are numerous issues caused by upgrading over rather than doing a fresh install so you might consider formatting a HD and installing W7 fresh. No guarantees it would help your situation at all; quite unusual.
Fresh HD. And I ran the W7 repair disc.

BTW, the fan only turns off when I push the hard re-boot button. Of course, it doesn't re-boot any more.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds to me like some settings in the BIOS have been altered.

Double-check those and see what you come up with.

Reaction score
Sounds to me like some settings in the BIOS have been altered.

Double-check those and see what you come up with.
I couldn't possibly see how the BIOS settings had been altered. The only thing that I did was to change the boot drive. But last night I re-set the BIOS to default. And guess what (red faced)? Now I have to figure out exactly what was changed. Thanks.

Reaction score
there must be error in your OS and reinstall it
or your CPU or PC must be running fan for cooling purposes

Ask a Question