Loud pop from power supply

Reaction score
I've just turned my main computer on, and there was a loud popping sound (not a huge bang, but enough to not sound right). My PSU must have blown, but I don't know if it's something I can fix?

The main cable has been replaced and that didn't make a difference, so it can't be the fuse in the plug. Is there an internal fuse that could have blown, and will my other components be damaged?

Theres a PC shop round the corner that does cheap power supplies, so I should be able to fix it quickly if it has blown.

Reaction score
Chances are that it is the PSU!
It happened to me a few years back. I powered up and there was a soft 'pop' and everything went dead. Replaced the PSU and all was fine. No damage was caused to anything else!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll 2nd that, it certainly sounds like the PSU if it popped and won't turn on now. It could damage other components, but I've not seen that happen for a long time.

Theres a PC shop round the corner that does cheap power supplies, so I should be able to fix it quickly if it has blown.
Of all the PC components, the PSU is one of the most important - and it's often overlooked. The £15 PSU's you see are cheap for a reason ;) I'd spend a little more and get some quality that won't go up in smoke again - it's worth it :)

Reaction score
OCZ and PCP&C power supplies are good ones, but they are more expensive than generic units. I don't know much about software, but I do about hardware!

Reaction score
Phew, my computer is working once again. Thanks for the help everyone, I went for the OCZ 500W StealthXstream PSU for forty quid online.

Nothing was damaged when I powered on for the first time, so it didn't end up being a more expensive buy than I feared.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Phew, my computer is working once again. Thanks for the help everyone, I went for the OCZ 500W StealthXstream PSU for forty quid online.
I almost got that one myself last time I upgraded! Is it quiet when it's running?

Reaction score
I almost got that one myself last time I upgraded! Is it quiet when it's running?
Yeah it's certainly not loud, I don't use enough power supplies to compare it with to know if it's quieter than normal though. I would recommend it!

Ask a Question