Power options

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 on a notebok computer. I set the display to turn off after five minutes. When I listen to WGN radio it does turn off with sound sitll playing.
Other stations like Fox radio will not turn the display off. Why?

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yikes... Notebook. :rolleyes:

You're display is different from running processes. In some cases you can set accessibility to different processes like your keyboard or mouse to provoke activation from sleep mode for example. I did this back when I had Vista, and I believe it's the same for Windows 7. From sleep mode I configured my computer not to wakeup when the mouse was active, so I had to hit a key on my keyboard to wake up my computer again.

Is this Fox radio running on a program as it's client (like windows media player) or on a web browser?

One thing to try, set a wait time to something you can remember. Leave your computer and turn your mouse upside down so that nothing can knock it around and cause the display to appear again. And see if it really doesn't turn off the display with this Fox Radio.

Unless you have a touchpad, some are glitchy. That's one reason I dont like laptops/notebooks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a laptop HP and use a wireless mouse and also a notepad that uses
the touchpad. both act the same. There is no movement during the wait time.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try checking your advanced power options.

• Start Menu > Type in "Power Options"
• In Power Options, select "Change Plan Settings"
• Go to "Advanced Settings"

Open the expander for "Display" and check your setting in there. Make changes as necessary.

Restart your computer.

Post results here.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Not an answer but maybe an idea from the biggest difference. Talk1300 uses silverlight if you have it installed vs WGN which uses adobe flash. Radiofox, I wasn't able to determine past the javascript coding and with my security settings none of them would play so I haven't looked beyond that.

Sleep is normally for lack of keys or mouse but many movie players prevent screen sleep for convenience (who wants to hit the mouse every 15 minutes during a movie?) and I suspect silverlight does too, apparently adobe flash doesn't (at least with your current settings).

Ask a Question