Please help me decide between 32-bit and 64-bit

Reaction score
First post here guys. I've been lurking for quite a while and have gotten some great advice thus far. I'll be building a new PC primarily for gaming - SWTOR - GW 2, COD World at War, stuff like that, and need help deciding between the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version. I haven't gotten everything yet, (except my HDD's) but I'm going the budget route with hopes of upgrading CPU, RAM and Video Cards in the future.

Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
well depends on the amount of memory you want to run. Windows 7 32 bit is limited to 4GB for a 32 bit CPU but probably in reality closer to 3.5 of usable memory. If you want to add more ram and upgrade your cpu and video cards in the future to be able to run the latest games...go with the 64 bit version.

Reaction score
I'd like to run 8GB and yeah upgrade to a better Video Card and maybe the core i5 when prices go down a bit.

Reaction score
I see no reason to install the 32 bit version of Windows, unless your CPU is limited to 32 bits and/or your running on 1GB of system memory. If your CPU is capable of running 64 bit and you have 2GB or more memory, go ahead with the 64 bit version of Windows.

Reaction score
I see no reason to install the 32 bit version of Windows, unless your CPU is limited to 32 bits and/or your running on 1GB of system memory. If your CPU is capable of running 64 bit and you have 2GB or more memory, go ahead with the 64 bit version of Windows.

Totally Agree :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I will offer a few reasons why someone would consider 32-bit. As Clifford already mentioned, if your CPU can't run 64-bit or if you only have under 2GB. Two, you may have some old devices that only have 32-bit drivers and therefore cannot run on a 64-bit machine without emulation; examples would be old printers or security card hardware businesses may use to encrypt or control access. Third, you have really old 16-bit software you absolutely must use (again an emulator may allow for a work-around in this case too)
... except for the possibility of out-dated hardware (which in most countries can be cheaply replaced) these reasons tend to apply more to businesses than to individuals but still for clarity I like to throw them out there.

The minute I hear you say 8GB it means 64-bit because you don't put more than 4GB in a 32bit machine because as already mentioned, 32bit can normally only address (use) about 3.4GB.

Ask a Question