Photos Icons in library will not delete

Reaction score
In Windows Media player> library>pictures>all pictures
The MS generated ICON remain on the screen even though I have deleted the files and the folders
the folders just show as the ndates
I have tried Delete ; folder properties and open file location but can not get rid of the empty file icons

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi sparkfishes & welcome

On right click and delete do you get an error message ?

Reaction score
I do not get any error messages
If I click on open file location nothing happens
If I click on Properties it gives a loction but the folders and files are not there

If I go to pictures by any other route e.g. documents > pictures the files are not there

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I just tried to recreate as you describe but when i delete thats it ... its gone !, have you been through your View settings within Media player

Can you delete from within Media player - File > Manage Librarys > Pictures

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been through the view settings but cannot see anything that would help.
I have unchecked every box and still can not delelet the thumbnails
I have deleted the Windows example pictures dated 2008 and that creates the same error : the actual images e.g. chysanthimums, are deleted but the computer thumb nails and original name remains
I have taken snip its of the screen but do not know how to insert them here . it seems to be asking for a web address and I dont have one to transfere the screen shots to

If I try to delete the thumbnails in WMP it says it has encountered aproblem and cannot delet the file - that is because the file does not exist - only the thumbnail and original name

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi sparkfishes

When you click reply in this thread scroll down and you will see manage attachments click that and in the window that opens you can upload pics from your PC to your post :)

Reaction score
Well the Phot Icons problem is getting worse the more I try to fix it

I don't have the Public pictures folder now - I did have but must have deleted it

I have deleted some of the orignial example photos that came with Windows 7 and were located in files with dates on them 2008 the photos have gone but the thumbnails , names and folders remain
The Files and locations shown in these screen shots do not exist - I have deleted them but these thumbnails remain

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi sparkfishes - Welcome to w7forums

Are you deleting the files from within Windows Media Player?

If you go to Organize and then Options. Look under the Library tab and make sure you have the "Delete files from computer when deleting from library" checked. If not you are only removing from library and when WMP checks the listing is added back.

Reaction score
Deleting Photos -blank thumbnails remain

Yes I have checked the box Delete from computer and libraries......

The files do not appera any where on my computer
not in the C:/documents/pictures or if I go through PICASA

Reaction score
What about managing your folders? Have you tried removing the folders that WMP watches. After you place the folders back maybe WMP will rebuild the list correctly.

Or what about Organize and then "Apply media information changes". Does this do anything?

Reaction score
Unable to delete thumbnail for deleted photos

I have tried organise folders
Sorry, I do not know what " Remove folders that WMP watches means"
I have tried "change media information"

It seems as though WMP is "remembering" folders and files that do not exist anywhere on my computer any longer including the example pictures supplied as OEM examples I have deleted

Reaction score
OK goto Organize then Manage Library. Select one of the sub catagories to manage your libraries. From there you can manage the folders that WMP watches for new media to add to the Library. If you remove the folders from the list and exit, you will be forcing WMP to rebuild the data base of media. When you add a folder WMP will scan that folder for media.

Reaction score
This is what I did - i hope it is what you meant
WMP>Organise>Manage library
screen How Windows gathers information
Only one path was there c:/user/James / pictures
I removed that
In c:/user/james /Pictures

I made a new folder xifti
In the screen HOW WINDOWS GATHERS INFORMATION
I ADD the xifti folder
Unfortunately
The thumbnails remain for the deleted files and folders in the library view as before

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi sparkfishes

Have you tried Apply Media Information Changes ? >

Reaction score
No that does not do any thing
I have deleted the media player icon from the tray now and only use WINDOWS MEDIA CENTRE
But when I click on libraries / pictures
That still shows blank spaces for the old files and folders I have deleted

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi sparkfishes

Do you get any pop-up info when you mouse over these blank spaces ?

Reaction score
No I do not get any pop ups when I mouse over the computer generated Icons in the Pictures library/ windows media player
Or if I mouse over the blank rectangles in Windows Media centre

Reaction score
Clicking on Media Centre> Pictures+videos> picture library
I get eight folders shown , one of these has just blank rectangles and has a title
2009-12-30 Snow
On placing the mouse on this the following information is shown below the whole eight folder images
My Pictures:2009-12-30snow30122009 31/12/2009 : 0 items
If I LEFT click on any of the blank rectangles I get the message " there are no itemsin this libraryyet- WindowsMedia Center is searching for media files in the background.To add more pictures, you can go to Tasks>settings> media Libraries."

(The above files and folders have been deleted )

If I RIGHT CLICK on the blank rectangles I get a drop down /pop up list Burn a cd/DVD
View Small
Manage Library
Settings

If I follow through from here to Settings>>>>>> remove folders from the library
I only get the option to remover c:user/james /pictures
The error folder / My pictures: 2009-12-30 etc is not there to remove

Upon Opening Windows Media PLAYER
I see library>Pictures> all pctures at the top then ( I presume) folders 30 november 2009
with thumnails of the windows generated seascape and the (deleted) file names under neath
ditto 29 November 2009
ditto 28 November 2009
ditto 27 november2009
I had the computer on 27 November !
ditto 24 march 2008 file hydrangers --------------Below were sample photo and have been deleted
ditto 18 february 2008 penguines
ditto March 2008 Chrysanthemum ; desert
ditto 18 february 2008 penguines
ditto 11 february 2008 light house koala jellyfish
07 February 2008 Tulips

No of my current REAL photos show here

Right clicking these sea scape thumb nails gives apop up list " play all" .... down to, delete, properties, and open file location
Clicking delete does nothing,
clicking properties gives a path thet no longer exists and a file size of 0:0
clicking open file location does nothing

Right clicking the seascape thumb nail does nothing

Ask a Question