OT:Photoshop CS compatibility


D

Dominique

Does anyone knows if Photoshop CS (2003) works on Windows 7 32 bits?

I will be upgrading my sister's laptop to 4GB RAM and a 750GB-7200 RPM HD
but she doesn't want to buy a newer version of PS.

Her laptop is an Acer Core2Duo (TM4230) running XP and I thought that she
could use Win7 with the hardware upgrade.

She also has Office 2003 but I don't expect to have trouble with this one.

TIA
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Paul

Dominique said:
Does anyone knows if Photoshop CS (2003) works on Windows 7 32 bits?

I will be upgrading my sister's laptop to 4GB RAM and a 750GB-7200 RPM HD
but she doesn't want to buy a newer version of PS.

Her laptop is an Acer Core2Duo (TM4230) running XP and I thought that she
could use Win7 with the hardware upgrade.

She also has Office 2003 but I don't expect to have trouble with this one.

TIA
I got one hit here.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34650706

"I'm running CS3 32bit version on a Windows 7 pro 64bit
machine with a quad-core, no problem at all"

There are two ways tools like that can foul up, that I can think of.

1) License enforcement, inserts stuff in OS.
2) Adobe has a bad habit of re-writing operating system APIs.
Like doing their own memory management. Which is fine for the
OS contemporary for the release of the tool, but not
necessarily a good thing when a new OS shows up.

I agree with your suspicions - it'll take quite a few
"no problem at all" postings, before I'd be convinced of it.

Paul
 
D

Dominique

Paul said:
I got one hit here.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34650706

"I'm running CS3 32bit version on a Windows 7 pro 64bit
machine with a quad-core, no problem at all"

There are two ways tools like that can foul up, that I can think of.

1) License enforcement, inserts stuff in OS.
2) Adobe has a bad habit of re-writing operating system APIs.
Like doing their own memory management. Which is fine for the
OS contemporary for the release of the tool, but not
necessarily a good thing when a new OS shows up.

I agree with your suspicions - it'll take quite a few
"no problem at all" postings, before I'd be convinced of it.

Paul
Thanks, interesting forum.

1) I will check if she can deactivate her PS before doing the "damage"
and reactivate after the upgrade.

2)I'm pretty sure if I call Adobe, the answer will be: "We don't support
that version anymore".

If it works, I'll tell you what the steps I followed.

Thanks again

Dominique
 
B

Bob I

Does anyone knows if Photoshop CS (2003) works on Windows 7 32 bits?

I will be upgrading my sister's laptop to 4GB RAM and a 750GB-7200 RPM HD
but she doesn't want to buy a newer version of PS.

Her laptop is an Acer Core2Duo (TM4230) running XP and I thought that she
could use Win7 with the hardware upgrade.

She also has Office 2003 but I don't expect to have trouble with this one.

TIA
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

and

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win7/CompatCenter/Home?Language=en-US
 
D

Dominique

Bob I said:
us/windows/compatibility/win7/CompatCenter/Home?Language=en-US

Thanks, I was planning to run the advisor before installing Seven because
there are no Windows 7 link on the Acer driver page for that model, it
stops to Vista.

The laptop has pretty usual stuff, Intel chipset, video and network,
Realtek audio, so I suspect the drivers are included in Seven and have not
been updated by Acer so no links.

But if someone has actually done it, running Photoshop CS1 on Win7, I would
be interested to know.
 
C

Chuck Anderson

Dominique said:
us/windows/compatibility/win7/CompatCenter/Home?Language=en-US

Thanks, I was planning to run the advisor before installing Seven because
there are no Windows 7 link on the Acer driver page for that model, it
stops to Vista.

The laptop has pretty usual stuff, Intel chipset, video and network,
Realtek audio, so I suspect the drivers are included in Seven and have not
been updated by Acer so no links.

But if someone has actually done it, running Photoshop CS1 on Win7, I would
be interested to know.
I am running Photoshop CS (AKA Photoshop 8.0) on Win 7 Pro 64 bit (Dell
Inspiron N4010 laptop). Installation was simple. Compatibility mode
not needed. I believe I made it crash once, but I do not remember what
I was doing. It would occasionally (rarely) crash under Windows XP, too.
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Dominique

Chuck Anderson <cycletourist@invalid.invalid> écrivait @dont-email.me:

I am running Photoshop CS (AKA Photoshop 8.0) on Win 7 Pro 64 bit (Dell
Inspiron N4010 laptop). Installation was simple. Compatibility mode
not needed. I believe I made it crash once, but I do not remember what
I was doing. It would occasionally (rarely) crash under Windows XP, too.
Thanks, good to know.
 
H

hot-totty

Dominique said:
Does anyone knows if Photoshop CS (2003) works on Windows 7 32 bits?

I will be upgrading my sister's laptop to 4GB RAM and a 750GB-7200 RPM HD
but she doesn't want to buy a newer version of PS.

Her laptop is an Acer Core2Duo (TM4230) running XP and I thought that she
could use Win7 with the hardware upgrade.

She also has Office 2003 but I don't expect to have trouble with this one.

TIA

You can download CS2 from this link:

<http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/>

All the serial numbers are also there on the same page.

Good luck.
 
R

Rob

Thank you, interesting link but unfortunately she uses a french version and
I didn't find such page on the french-canadian or france Adobe site.
Those CS2 downloads are now compulsory for Adobe customers
who need to re-install CS2 products as the CS2 activation
servers have been permanently taken off-line by Adobe.
They are now the only way to install and activate an old
CS2 product. If your sister's version requires activation,
after installation, it probably won't work.
 
G

Good Guy

Thank you, interesting link but unfortunately she uses a french version and
I didn't find such page on the french-canadian or france Adobe site.
I believe you need to select your language when installing Adobe
software. Whenever I install any adobe software, I have a choice of
selecting the language but the default is English in my case so I
haven't checked the drop-down list of other languages.

You could try to install them on your *test* machine if you have one or
somebody else here can try it out for you.

Alternatively, why not post a question on Adobe forums?

Good luck.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jason

hot-totty <hot-totty@pornsits.com> écrivait @speranza.aioe.org:
Thank you, interesting link but unfortunately she uses a french version and
I didn't find such page on the french-canadian or france Adobe site.
When I have installed Adobe products, all supported languages are
included with the package.
 
D

Dominique

Does anyone knows if Photoshop CS (2003) works on Windows 7 32 bits?

I will be upgrading my sister's laptop to 4GB RAM and a 750GB-7200 RPM HD
but she doesn't want to buy a newer version of PS.

Her laptop is an Acer Core2Duo (TM4230) running XP and I thought that she
could use Win7 with the hardware upgrade.

She also has Office 2003 but I don't expect to have trouble with this one.

TIA
Thanks to all, I've completed the hardware upgrade and install Seven
yesterday, no drivers problem except for the flash card reader which I had
to manually install (Update driver in Device manager) using the Vista file
from Acer (setup.exe didn't work), fortunately, the .inf and associated
files were in a folder after unzipping the Acer file.

As far as Photoshop CS is concerned, it installed flawlessly and the
language choice was there. BUT as someone has mentioned, no activation
server; I tried the phone call but it was a no go. I tried to find a crack
but it f..ked up her system, I knew that could happen so I made a system
image before trying to get the crack. I restored the image and forgot about
PS8.

She likes the new setup so she's going to find another photo editor program
not too expensive.

Thanks again.
 
P

Paul

Dominique said:
Thanks to all, I've completed the hardware upgrade and install Seven
yesterday, no drivers problem except for the flash card reader which I had
to manually install (Update driver in Device manager) using the Vista file
from Acer (setup.exe didn't work), fortunately, the .inf and associated
files were in a folder after unzipping the Acer file.

As far as Photoshop CS is concerned, it installed flawlessly and the
language choice was there. BUT as someone has mentioned, no activation
server; I tried the phone call but it was a no go. I tried to find a crack
but it f..ked up her system, I knew that could happen so I made a system
image before trying to get the crack. I restored the image and forgot about
PS8.

She likes the new setup so she's going to find another photo editor program
not too expensive.

Thanks again.
What about the free downloads that have already been mentioned ?

Adobe left a page with downloads, for the software for which they
no longer have an activation server. Perhaps you can get
what you need there.

I think the idea is, when you install these versions, they don't
rely on the activation server.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

There might have been another page, for a different version.
I don't know how many versions are activation server dependent,
and have been cut loose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Creative_Suite

"In January 2013, Adobe offered existing CS2 users the
opportunity to download a version of CS2 that no longer
required Adobe server authorization."

HTH,
Paul
 
D

Dominique

Paul said:
What about the free downloads that have already been mentioned ?

Adobe left a page with downloads, for the software for which they
no longer have an activation server. Perhaps you can get
what you need there.

I think the idea is, when you install these versions, they don't
rely on the activation server.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

There might have been another page, for a different version.
I don't know how many versions are activation server dependent,
and have been cut loose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Creative_Suite

"In January 2013, Adobe offered existing CS2 users the
opportunity to download a version of CS2 that no longer
required Adobe server authorization."

HTH,
Paul
I've managed to install Photoshop CS2 on my own laptop (a bit more
powerful but similar to hers, Acer TM7720) from the link above, when it
asked to choose a language, it was to read the licence agreement. Once
installed, it's in English; I'll have to ask her if it's OK.

The installation process stops when it asks to "insert disk 2", if I
click OK, the same "dialog box" comes back. If I click Quit, the
installation aborts; but I've discovered that when you quit, Photoshop is
actually installed, you only have to create some shortcuts.

I don't really know if it will crash when trying to do some advanced
editing.

For me it would do, but I already have Photoshop Elements 7 (in French)
and it does what I need to do with a photo editor.

Thanks,

Dominique
 
J

John Williamson

Dominique said:
Thanks to all, I've completed the hardware upgrade and install Seven
yesterday, no drivers problem except for the flash card reader which I had
to manually install (Update driver in Device manager) using the Vista file
from Acer (setup.exe didn't work), fortunately, the .inf and associated
files were in a folder after unzipping the Acer file.

As far as Photoshop CS is concerned, it installed flawlessly and the
language choice was there. BUT as someone has mentioned, no activation
server; I tried the phone call but it was a no go. I tried to find a crack
but it f..ked up her system, I knew that could happen so I made a system
image before trying to get the crack. I restored the image and forgot about
PS8.
If you can get to the URL given, then try to activate your copy of
Photoshop CS2 with the serial number given on the Adobe website for such
a case, which is 1045-1412-5685-1654-6343-1431

The direct link for the install file download of the officially cracked
version if that doesn't work is:-

download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/creativesuite/CS2_EOL/PHSP/PhSp_CS2_English.exe

These are put up by Adobe only for registered users who wish to
re-install their copy now that the activation servers are no longer working.
She likes the new setup so she's going to find another photo editor program
not too expensive.
She could try GIMPshop, which is the GIMP with a front end that behaves
sort of like Photoshop. They don't get any cheaper.....

http://www.gimpshop.com/
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Williamson

Dominique said:
I've managed to install Photoshop CS2 on my own laptop (a bit more
powerful but similar to hers, Acer TM7720) from the link above, when it
asked to choose a language, it was to read the licence agreement. Once
installed, it's in English; I'll have to ask her if it's OK.

The installation process stops when it asks to "insert disk 2", if I
click OK, the same "dialog box" comes back. If I click Quit, the
installation aborts; but I've discovered that when you quit, Photoshop is
actually installed, you only have to create some shortcuts.
That's probably because you're trying to install the whole of Creative
Suite 2. There is a workaround given on the download page, but I
couldn't get it to work. The download for PS8 (AKA Photoshop CS2) is a
single .exe file of about 340Megabytes. I've given the direct URL and
serial number elsewhere in the thread.
 
A

Adobe Pirate

Thanks to all, I've completed the hardware upgrade and install Seven
yesterday, no drivers problem except for the flash card reader which I had
to manually install (Update driver in Device manager) using the Vista file
from Acer (setup.exe didn't work), fortunately, the .inf and associated
files were in a folder after unzipping the Acer file.

As far as Photoshop CS is concerned, it installed flawlessly and the
language choice was there. BUT as someone has mentioned, no activation
server; I tried the phone call but it was a no go. I tried to find a crack
but it f..ked up her system, I knew that could happen so I made a system
image before trying to get the crack. I restored the image and forgot about
PS8.

She likes the new setup so she's going to find another photo editor program
not too expensive.

Thanks again.
The crack for Adobe software these days is to block their activation
servers through the Windows hosts file. Please tell me if she wants
Adobe Photoshop elements 11 free of charge for a windows system? You get
this by downloading the trial version from Adobe site then I or somebody
will e-mail you the serial number privately and also tell you how to
block the Adobe servers from checking your system for validity. The
servers are available online if you search for them and also the serial
numbers but I can send you privately as well.

You don't need to install anything else that could potentially be a
virus or malware. Adobe site is pretty safe in that respect and all you
will be doing is blocking certain Adobe servers. The main site will
remain accessible for tutorials and their forums.
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Dominique

That's probably because you're trying to install the whole of Creative
Suite 2. There is a workaround given on the download page, but I
couldn't get it to work. The download for PS8 (AKA Photoshop CS2) is a
single .exe file of about 340Megabytes. I've given the direct URL and
serial number elsewhere in the thread.
You're right, when I saw Creative Suite, that's what I've downloaded.
I've just checked again and and PS alone is there indeed. It's only a
question of language. She has an Adobe account, may be she could get a
french version through that account.

For now, she's thinking about buying the most recent, she can get an "edu"
price at about $250CA.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top