On Toshiba cannot setup dualboot

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba laptop Satellite L505D-S59 that has no software to only install windows 7 to use as a dual boot on a newly partitioned drive.Their restore disks only brings the computer back to factory set up. Toshiba tells me this is the way it is.I cannot accept this
from a big computer firm.Of course i can purchase a Windows 7 retail install disk.
Can Microsoft help me in getting a Windows 7 retail disk at no cost?
I know that a lot readers will say i must be mistaken etc.Has anyone found what i say is true

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi alex6500 - Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

You CAN install the full Retail version of Windows 7. But first you'll have to download an ISO image file of the install DVD.

Here is a link to a page on this website for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of either Home Premium or Professional. Sorry there is no Ultimate links however.

https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

Just download the version you need and then use ImgBurn, which is a free ISO image burning program with a verification feature. Burn to a good quality blank DVD at no faster than 8X and use the verify feature to ensure that a good disc burn was accomplished.

Get ImgBurn at this website: www.imgburn.com

The 32-bit versions are about a 2.30 GB download and the 64-bit versions are 3.02 GB downloads.

Then use the MS Genuine Product Key, which should be on the C.O.A. sticker on your notebook. Probably on the underneath side.

Good Luck and let us know how it worked out for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE:
Also remember that your product key will only work for ONE INSTALL of Windows 7! You won't be able to have the "factory version" and this version installed on the same computer and use the same key.

I just remembered you said a dual-boot setup, so I needed to remind you of that fact about the product key limitations.

Reaction score
You said Also remember that your product key will only work for ONE INSTALL of Windows 7! You won't be able to have the "factory version" and this version installed on the same computer and use the same key.

I just remembered you said a dual-boot setup, so I needed to remind you of that fact about the about the product key limitations.
.............................................................................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
# 1 Yes a dual boot i want.So what does this mean exactly if i try to download and
then install on my computer with oem from Toshiba ? (i have have used iso etc before)

#2 Is this free ? As i said before i know i can buy a pd ver but i want to setup at no cost

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
# 1 Yes a dual boot i want.So what does this mean exactly if i try to download and then install on my computer with oem from Toshiba ? (i have have used iso etc before)

#2 Is this free ? As i said before i know i can buy a pd ver but i want to setup at no cost.
1. You can't run both installs on the same product key. So if you want to run the OEM Toshiba Windows 7 install and also a regular retail Windows 7 OEM install, you'll have to purchase another key for that second install. The product key you have is what signifies what type of install it is, such as an OEM, Full Retail, Upgrade, etc.

2. The ISO download is free, it is direct download from the MS Digital River download site. These are the genuine MS Windows 7 ISO images.

Why run a dual boot setup anyway. Most of the OEM installs are loaded with what's affectionately called "crapware". They usually run slower than a clean full install of the retail version too because of all the junk software on there.

Reaction score
On the Toshiba one cannot seperate(copy ?) Windows 7 that is that is pre-installed on hard drive .I like a dualboot system for a backup.Yes i know i can buy an external hd to use as a backup etc.I really do not know what would happen if i could do an
another install of Winstall of Windows 7.Will i lose any data ?
.I am not a computer expert.
i think it is not a user friendly Windows 7 useage that Toshiba has.
I has a H.P before ..3 yrs of use..and could use their recovery disk to re-install Windows XP witout loss of data. and of course in a new seperate partition.
Update.. About 2 wks ago i had partitioned C drive and added E drive.
I then could not download, only surf, read mail.
.Toyota could not fix after 2 hrs with control of my computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.I was trying not to spend any more money on my computer.
Toshiba Windows 7 re-install setup is not as user friendly as my last H.P.I could re-install win XP and dual boot(after using a free partition software) with their recovery/restore disk that had Windows XP.The Toshiba is a nice computer, but wish i had gone with H.P.As i have said has any Toshiba laptop owners on this forum
had the same type of problem?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
On the Toshiba one cannot seperate(copy ?) Windows 7 that is that is pre-installed on hard drive .I like a dualboot system for a backup.Yes i know i can buy an external hd to use as a backup etc.I really do not know what would happen if i could do an
another install of Winstall of Windows 7.Will i lose any data ?
.I am not a computer expert.
i think it is not a user friendly Windows 7 useage that Toshiba has.
I has a H.P before ..3 yrs of use..and could use their recovery disk to re-install Windows XP witout loss of data. and of course in a new seperate partition.
Update.. About 2 wks ago i had partitioned C drive and added E drive.
I then could not download, only surf, read mail.
.Toyota could not fix after 2 hrs with control of my computer.
What you're trying to do by making another install as "backup copy" is not the way you want to go. Get Macrium Reflect Free system backup software and use it. Using an external hard drive is the best and most efficient way to go regarding this, plus it's much faster to restore too. You can also make a Emergency Bootable CD from Macrium Reflect to get in to restore your notebook computer. Plus you don't lose any data.

In addition an external hard drive gives one the ability to store all their data on instead of crowding the hard drive on a notebook computer.

Since you're not a "computer expert" as you state, don't try to attempt something such as you were trying to do, something even the ubergeeks wouldn't even think of.

Toshiba notebook computers are excellent systems, much better in quality and hardware than HP products. HP has the worst track record over the first three years of notebook ownership of any maker. Roughly a 28% repair rate... that's not good.

You do have the original Toshiba install / recovery disc right? Keep it safe and make a backup copy of it.

You should have been able to make a separate partition with no problems. Try using the System Restore feature and see if that fixes the problem for you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you clarify what you mean by dual-boot? Generally you would have dual-boot so that you can choose to boot up in Windows 7 OR you can boot to, for example, XP. Now technically you might be able to set up a dual-boot so that both boots are Windows 7 (maybe one is 32bit and one is 64bit) but I don't know what the value would be in this. Either way if you run 2 OSs then you must own two licenses; you may have gotten away with it in XP but it still isn't legal.

Windows allows you to create System recovery discs and provides the ability to generate system backups to a secondary internal or external drive (there are also freeware products that may even work better). This is a much more economical way to have a backup than to purchase another OS just so it can run on two partitions. There are also several programs that allow you to completely replicate one HD to another HD, including the OS, and as long as you only had that drive as a back-up (not a dual-boot setup) then I believe you would be within the legal rights of backing up your copyrighted material.

Reaction score
I just do not plan at this time to spend money.I had just left a post but it went to null land

Reaction score
Perhaps our sharing od info will help someone else.
Emergency Bootable CD from Macrium Reflect has to be upgrade ver for win 7
On H.P w/win XP the restore /recovery disks asks where one wants to instail XP
so how would i know it would be not legal?
I said '.Toyota could not fix after 2 hrs with control of my computer.
i meant Toshiba

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Restore and recovery are designed specifically to restore and recover an existing copy of windows. Either to correct the original partition or, if your HD crashes, to a new harddrive. Although C: drive is the most common drive for the OS it is not mandatory, that is why it asks where the restore should go. Its purpose is to repair or replace an existing first copy; not to facilitate a second working copy.

To be honest, I'm not sure if you couldn't say it was a backup of your copyrighted material in XP and avoid any legal hassles. But today, one computer can have a standard OS and maybe 4 or 5 virtual OS environments and with windows validation and licensing, Microsoft has definitely clamped down and wants to get paid for every version in use on every partition everywhere.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Emergency Bootable CD from Macrium Reflect has to be upgrade ver for win 7
Wrong! It's boots up as a Linux-based rescue CD but does the restore of Windows 7. Apparently you're misunderstanding things here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The fastest disk imaging software is now available as a free edition.
Absolutely free! No strings! The only free XP, Vista and Windows 7 compatible disk imaging software with BartPE and Linux based recovery options.

• Create a disk image whilst running Windows using Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS).
  • Image to Network, USB, FireWire drives and DVD.
  • Built in scheduler.
  • 32 bit and native 64 bit versions.
  • Industry leading compression levels and speed.
  • Linux based Rescue CD with Network access and full GUI. Only 6.5MB in size!
  • Built in CD/DVD packet writing engine. Supports packet writing to DVD DL media with Windows Vista.
  • HTML log files.

Version: v4.2.2866
Date: 30th July 2010
File Size:31.1 MB
File Name: reflect_setup_free_x86_x64.exe
MD5 Hash:3fa309b67028feb4f7340db231483cd3
Windows Versions:XP, Vista, Windows 7. 32 and native 64 Bit.
Note: This installation file contains the 32 and 64 bit versions of Macrium Reflect. The correct version will be automatically installed.

DOWNLOAD

Ask a Question