Office 2010 Word Reinstall missing "save as" choices

cel

Reaction score
I rebuilt system from Recovery Partition. Win7 Home Premium Hewlett Packard Pavilion HP-h8-1114

Have my own copy of Office 2010. I installed using the key number. The system had Office already on it..

Noticed in Word

• Choice of type document being "save as" not as extensive as first install. When initial setup done I customized it to include just about every feature as I did with this install.
  • Choices of doc "save as" missing extention on choices like .docx Just says name like Office 2007 2003.

Thanks
Celeste

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
DOCX is the default format for Word 2010 so if that is not there then there is something wrong.You said it had a version pre-installed. I suggest you uninstall all versions and then install office 2010.

cel

Reaction score
Hi there. The first choice is docx. What I noticed is that the following choices no longer show what the extension for them is. I liked this feature and was wondering if during the install or from a MS update it was removed.

The install of the Office package was done the same way as the original install this is why I am confused. I made it a custom install and included everything except a couple of the langue options.

The next thing I noticed is the choices of what format to save a document in is not near as extensive. I would say at least half are no longer there.

Thanks for replying to my post. Sorry it took so long to reply

Celeste

cel

Reaction score
Hi there.

All ok with the default being .docx

What I don't understand though is why the original Office had extensions showing next to each choice of what format I use. This copy doesn't Like Office 2003 and 2007 .doc. PDF .pdf

I activated both the original copy when it came from the factory by typing in the key and followed the same process here.

I don't have nearly the amount of choices of what I want to save the document as then I did when I first activated the program.

Thanks. Sorry took so long to reply.

Celeste

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and choose to Change Office 2010 then make sure you have the following selected for install:
Office2010TextConverters.jpg

Also make sure you run Windows Updates and install any Office updates.

With everything installed I see these save options:
Office2010SaveOptions.jpg

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Okay, I think I know what Cel is looking for. This is not an Office setting, it's an OS setting.

Cel, in the start search box type Folder Options and hit enter. Click the "View" tab, then scroll down until you see "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck its box. Click Okay and then check to see if this restores the missing extensions for you. ;)

Ask a Question