Install Office 64bit 2010 on 2nd HDD on pc

Reaction score
Hi.

Great Forum.

I wanted to ask a question about doing a Office 2010 64bit install that's loaded on Windows 7 64bit.

How can install this application to a 2nd drive on the same pc?

Example: Installed on C:/ and I want to install it on E:/ instead? Since I do transfer files (Which are big) from MS Access 2010 to MS Excel 2010, and the pc freezes up constantly (Not Responding) message appears slow' my work time down drastically.

How would I do this from the disk,I've used two of my academic product keys as well, on will doing this install on the same pc my final product key if i try to do this?

Thank you in advance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off, it is not likely that the hard drive speed is causing your slowdown so I do not suspect this will help that issue at all, but anyway ...

Yes, you can install Office to any HD you wish. First uninstall the existing copy and then reinstall using the custom option and you can specify a different folder/path for the install including putting it on the E: drive. This puts the actual application on e: but your data will still default to My Documents which, unless you move it, is on the C: drive.

Most people don't install the application on a different drive, what they do is put their data on the other drive. To do this you would instead install as normal but you MOVE your My Documents Library to E:

Your student keys are valid for an install to any harddrive (but legally limited to one at a time) so when you reinstall you will need to supply the license keys again. You should have them written down but if not, then before you do any uninstalling and reinstalling, you should install a freeware product called SIW and go to the software - licenses section and get the keys (& this time write them down). SIW is listed in our Freeware DB.

As I said, I do not think installing the application on a different hard drive will help with the slowdown issue. Moving your data to a separate hard drive might help a little. But the truth is it is the size of the files, the speed of your processor, and often, the amount of RAM (I recommend 4GB or better) are your most likely speed limiters.

Reaction score
Thank you.

The main issue is the files when loaded from E:/ transferred into Excel on the C:/ drive are doing a "Not Responding" when loaded.

The documents are on E:/ and the program is on C:/

Please share your input with this. Thanks.

EDIT:
I'm going to uninstall office 2010 and reinstall to see if this helps.

Also, upped the pagefile (Virtual Memory) to max across all HDD's which seemed to help a tiny bit but nothing major.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The program is already loaded into memory when you are importing the data so the drive where the program is installed should be irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

I am reporting back on here to say your information was correct. It did not help any.

This guy couldnt even do a system restore without errors, since the pc is under warranty, we are having the pc repair shop Altex fix the machine since the guy I'm helping fix this is a jerk and I'm done. :)

Thank you for your input, i did learn few things from this experience.

Kent C.

Ask a Question