SOLVED No previewer installed

Reaction score
Hi,
I have win 7 professional 32 bit installed and when trying to preview .wmv .avi and .mov files in Outlook 2010 I get an error "This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it"
It used to work but stopped suddenly.
WMP is listed in "set program access and computer defaults" but is not listed in "set your default programs"
I have tried;
Removing media player in windows features and then reinstalling
Running the reg fix "wmp-programs-list.reg"
All other attachments open in preview and all video types work in WMP.
As far as I can see it only the 3 file types that refuse to run in Outlook 2010.
Any ideas?

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In Windows Explorer, if you simply click on an AVI file stored on your computer does it open in WMP and work like it should?

If that works fine but refuses to work from Outlook then maybe check out this Thread.

Reaction score
Hi,
All files open correctly outside of outlook. Even in outlook when double clicking on the files WMP opens and they play correctly. It is only the single click preview that does not work.
Turned off protected mode in Word and Excel and ran dcomcnfg.exe and the options for Default Authentication Level and Default Impersonation Level are greyed out with no options available. The check box for "enable distributed com on this computer" and "enable com internet services on this computer" are both unchecked, and even checking both does not change the greyed out options.
The component servcies options tab pops up a box stating that the values for transaction timeout must be between 1 and 3600. Trying to enter a value crashes the application and trying to change tabs or cancel out just produces the pop up box with no option to get out.
The component services also crashes when selecting the default protocols tab

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: mmc.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Application Timestamp: 4a5bc3f1
Fault Module Name: comuid.dll
Fault Module Version: 2001.12.8530.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bda2f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000311cf
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 3081

Maybe this is the source of the problem. i will look for a solution to this too.

Thanks

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think those are security settings in Outlook (beginning with 2007) that prevent you from running potentially malicious "embedded" executables by mistake - perhaps in a fake email that appears to be from someone you know. Outlook, out of caution, wants you to save the attachment, then scan it with your anti-malware solution, then open it.

You said it used to work - was that in OL 2010, or perhaps 2003 where embedded support was included?

Reaction score
In OL 2010 it worked, just stopped a couple of weeks ago, but also WMP stopped so thought it was an issue with that. Now fixed WMP but still no previewer.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, I am afraid I don't know what to suggest other than Help > Office Diagnostics and see what happens.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might also try popping in the W7 DVD and running a system repair.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If the previewer in Outlook is the only problem, not sure it would be a Windows problem but, if you take the necessary precautions (like backing up all your data) a system repair can't hurt. I am hoping the Office Diagnostics/Repair will fix it.

Reaction score
Office repair does not help, and had issues with HP protect and Itunes last time I tried the system repair. Will not run until HP protect is removed and Itunes is uninstalled. Cannot get rid of HP protect even after uninstall system repair still shows error message to remove it. So gave up.
Cheers

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, I hate to see you give up on this. Rest assured, you are not alone with these HP Protect Tools but others have had success removing it as seen here.

I like the solution "Frustrated1953.1" came up with - he returned his HPs and replaced them with IBM Thinkpads. lol

Understand that ALL notebooks makers foist a bunch of unwanted, unneeded junk on notebooks and none, as far as I know, make it easy to remove. Some of this "fluff" is there to make recovery easier, or secure your data better if the notebook is stolen. But most is just bloat you will never need.

If me, I would certainly send a letter to HP telling them why you will never buy another HP and that you will be sure to tell all your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers and schoolmates why you will never, and they should never, buy HP either.

Reaction score
Hi,

Try this:

On Local Security Policy Go to: Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Bypass traverse checking

It should be set: Everyone, Administrators, Users, Backup Operators, Local Service, Network Service.

Restart your computer

Let me know if it works for you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question