No post screen help blarghh

Reaction score
Hi all,
This arfrenoon I went to turn on my pc and it didn't even show the post screen all the fans turn on and I can hear the DVD and hdd boot up but instead of the inbuilt speaker doing 1 beep it just makes a faint click sound I removed the heat sink and the CPU doesn't even heat up my mobo is a gigabyte ga-8i915p duo rev 2 and my CPU is a celeron d 775 lga socket 3.2ghz
Thanks in advance

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Wait - does it boot at all? Maybe just a faulty video card or cable or something... Check your connections. In and our of the computer.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Double-check your power connections to the motherboard and also check to see if the CPU is fully seated in its socket.

Is the HP OEM power supply acting any different than before? Getting hot or making unusual noises?

Reaction score
Reason i say PSU i had a very similar problem with another pc i have and i swaped the PSU and it worked just fine, i had all the signs that you have.

If you have a spare Power Supply Unit swap it over an check to see how you get on.

just a hunch.

Reaction score
Remove the power plug from the wall socket and also take out the cmos battery from the motherboard.

Wait a minute.

Replace both and try again.

Reaction score
I checked the video card nothing wrong there psu well I don't have an other 24 pin one so I can't check it my CPU might be the problem it was $5 on eBay ????

Reaction score
There are still lessons to be learned when purchasing from ebay, sooooooo many people getting stung for a so called bargain :)

Reaction score
I did that nothing happened I did slip a bit and 1 of the jumper pins went up under my finger nail och lol Im talking to torrent btw lol

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I did that nothing happened I did slip a bit and 1 of the jumper pins went up under my finger nail och lol

Ouch! Happened to me with a transistor... Hurts, a lot.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
There are still lessons to be learned when purchasing from ebay, sooooooo many people getting stung for a so called bargain :)
And it could do irreparable damage to all your other hardware.

Reaction score
And it could do irreparable damage to all your other hardware.

Couldn't agree more.. heard of so many people suffering all sorts of consequences to do with hardware, not to mention the other stuff.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I have purchased over 44 items from eBay and never got burned once.

One must be very discerning when purchasing from eBay; if the price seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

Look at the seller ratings and how many transactions they've conducted, that will tell you a lot right off the bat.

Sometimes it doesn't even matter where you get product from, people can still get burned. About a year ago, Newegg received a shipment of about 400+ Intel CPUs from one of their alternate suppliers. ALL THE CPUs were fake, bogus, and non-functional and in poorly imitated "Intel" boxes, etc. They were quick to rectify the errors and such but still it really ticked off some customers big time.

Reaction score
i have an idea ... if i make a dos flash boot disk with an bios update on it would that be able to fix the problem because when i turn on the pc the dvd drives flash and the hdd light stays on even if the hdd is taken out?? like it's trying to look for something?? i dont know

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, If you have a boot disk I would try that. If it boots then I would suggest your HD is the problem.

Since you hear fans etc running, your PSU could be underpowered, but if it was working even under strain (like powerful games) then I would put that on the back of the list as well.

Also if you removed the heat sink from the CPU then you broke the seal. There should be thermal paste between the heat sink and the CPU. Was there ever any paste there? Is it possible your CPU burned up?

As for eBay, I have been a member for over 10 yrs and I bought an excellent router from there at a good deal. I also bought a computer, two GPUs, a PSU, a flash drive, and 5 copies of Windows 7. The computer was poorly packed and sustained some cosmetic damage and had a HD that ran hot and loud and needed replaced. Two of the copies of W7 were phoneys, and the flash drive was a fake. I have also been burned a couple times on DVDs. I have had much better success with my miniature train collection. Quite honestly it depends on the category and on the sellers reputation. Caveat emptor.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
i have an idea ... if i make a dos flash boot disk with an bios update on it would that be able to fix the problem because when i turn on the pc the dvd drives flash and the hdd light stays on even if the hdd is taken out?? like it's trying to look for something?? i dont know

Yes! Doing a DOS flash BIOS update is the best, safest, surest way to update the BIOS firmware. I use a USB external floppy just for that purpose when I work on peoples computers.

Ask a Question