Windows 7 Blank Screen after Windows POST no AGP440.SYS

Reaction score
I was on my Compaq V2310US laptop and noticed it was running slow, so I decided to run chkdsk just for the heck of it. It appeared to freeze at around 33%(but now I dont think it did), so I turned it off. I restarted it, noticed that it just stayed at 33% for awhile and left it this time. Now when I start windows 7 ultimate, it says "starting windows" then boots to a blank screen. No welcome screen or anything. The mouse pointer is there and my wlan button and capslock work, but the mute sound button doesnt respond. If I boot in safe mode, CLASSPNP.SYS is the last file to load and I get the same black screen problem. Im wondering why theres no AGP440.SYS. I have the ATI M200 chipset and when I updated it awhile back, my PC did the same thing, however I was able to go into safemode and uninstall it. I got another option to update it a week later(which made windows aero work) saying the driver was for windows 7 and it worked. My advanced options are limited to the 3 safe modes and normal mode. Startup repair didnt do anything. Thanks for any help

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Headache559

Have you loaded any new software ? as this could be an application driver hanging problem.

Reaction score
Hi Headache559

Have you loaded any new software ? as this could be an application driver hanging problem.
Hello,
I ended up reinstalling windows 7, then moving everything from windows.old back to their respective folders. I was worried it might not work, but alas, here I am on my laptop. Thanks

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Glad you managed to work around your headache!

Ask a Question