No DVD Drivers for windows 7 installation

Reaction score
I have replaced the hard drive in my laptop as the old one collapsed and am trying to install Windows 7 for the first time. I am doing this from my Windows 7 installation CD, which is starting the installation processs fine. However, it soon says it does not have the drivers to use my external DVD-Drive so can't continue the installation process.

I have searched for the drivers for my TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633B dvd drive but cannot find them anywhere. When I plug the device into another computer it will just download & install the drivers rather than provide me with the .exe installation file I am after. Obviously I wanted to burn this file to disc to use on the new hard drive.

Can I...

Make an installation file copying the drivers from another computer? eg. finding the .sys file in the DRIVERS folder? Is this possible?

or should I just find/buy another external DVD drive that comes with a disc with driver installation files on it?

Or does anyone have any better ideas?

Kieron

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It looks like it finds the DVD for starters. Odd that it then cannot use it? But is your new HD formatted and does it, by chance (or are you able to) put another small partition on it?
If so, create , in the small partition, a folder, call it setup for example. Dump the entire contents of the DVD into the folder and run the setup from there.
You could, if you think this idea is worth a shot, use a "live" CD (there are many free ones around) to create the needed partition.

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was strange too Dave.

To be honest I dont think the hard drive is formatted - I think it's going to do that as part of the installation. I may look into this partition idea though if I dont find another solution :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Many drivers are built in to W7 including most DVD-Roms. If your W7 DVD is not Service Pack 1 then what you might do is use another computer to download W7 SP1 and burn it with a product like IMGBurn, then see if you can install from that. I don't know but it never hurts to try and even if you then need to find another install method, like Dave suggested, then you have the latest W7 to use.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First of all, you don't need to format the hard drive to install Windows 7. The install process will do that automatically for you.

Second, is your computer a netbook with no DVD internal drive? If so, then you need to burn the ISO image of the install to a USB Flash drive to install the operating system. It is faster and should work if that's the case in your situation. Go to: How to create a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive Then set your netbook BIOS to boot first from USB Hard Drive.

Third, if the USB DVD drive is recognized in the BIOS then you don't need drivers for it. Just be sure to make it the "First Boot Device" and the install should go smoothly.

What brand and model is your computer? If you would give us some information, that will be a help regarding your issue.

Reaction score
you can use a flash/thumb drive to install windows. Just go on microsoft they tell how to take your Windows 7 Disk and make copy on to flash drive then you can use the flash drive to install window on your laptop,

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having the same issue here.

What is strange is that I have already installed Windows 7 in my machine, using the same dvd that is giving me problems now, many times before...

The only difference is that I have been messing with some linux distros, installing different versions in my two harddrives. Suddently the grub loader stopped working properly, and some OS's dissapeared, windows 7 included.

At this moment, I decided to start a clean installation of Windows7 in one harddrive and a linux distro in the other but, even the installation starts, it gives me the driver problem.

As I said, i have already installed W7 from this dvd, in this machine, in those harddisks, many times before... Indeed, I installed it last week.

Actually i formatted one of the harddrives in NTFS using one of the Linux working distro, and disconnected the nonformatted harddrive, trying to do a really clean install. Only a new formatted harddrive is connected by now... Same error...

I really don't know what is happening, maybe a low-level format would fix this?

Thanks in advance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So does that mean you cannot boot from the LiveCD? because that is what I've read is how you fix the GRUB loader when Windows FUBARs it. If you can boot from the Live CD then you might try this How-to-geek tutorial.

Reaction score
Well, I suppose i can boot from the LiveCD... I did not tried, but actually Ubuntu is using Grub2, which i tried to understand it's configuration but have no time these days to mess around with it.

Anyways, my problem is not booting a system or the other, but installing W7 again, in a formatted drive (ok, formated in NTFS using Ubuntu, which is probably not the best way to do it), and having only this drive connected at this time (to prevent installing windows in the wrong drive... did it sometime ago in my backup drive, not funny...). Even when i have always installed W7 without no problems using the same DVD, two days ago the installation stopped with this f****** error.

Nothing changed in my hardware, and the dvd drive is working well (i have no read errors when trying it using Linux), so the only thing i can imagine it's causing this error is a bad partition table in that hard disk. I can't found a logical connection between a problem in the harddrive and the dvd driver error, but nothing changed in my computer apart from the diferent formats in the hdd's (ntfs, ext3, etc...).

This night i'll try a low-level format to see if there is any change, but a search for this error in google shows too many different solutions, so i have no much hope...

Thanks for your help. I'll post the results later.

If you have any additional solution, or a probably way to fix this, please post it... my computer is about to fly through the window...

Ask a Question