New help installing a Toshiba External Harddrive

Reaction score
I am new to windows 7,all I have ever had was XP, But I got a new laptop with windows 7 and am haveing trouble installing a Toshiba Canvio Basic 1.0 external harddrive.windows 7 does not have Auto-Run. How do I go about getting to Set.up.exe after I plug it in?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Actually W7 DOES have autorun. It is called AutoPlay; check your settings by going to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > AutoPlay.

Since the drive is USB 2.0 the drivers should be installed automatically when you plug it in to your W7 computer. But it's possible the drivers installed but no drive letter was assigned. Type diskmgmt.msc into the Start - search box and run it. See if you see the drive there and if it does not have a drive letter then right-click and assign one.

Once the drive has a drive letter it should be available in Windows Explorer, so even if AutoPlay does not start you should be able to find that drive letter in Windows Explore, expand it, and click on any items (program executables, pictures, etc)

Last edited:

Ask a Question