Help needed installing windows 64bit on a seagate cheatah 15k.5 SAS hard drive

Reaction score
Has anyone managed to install windows ultimate on to a seagate cheatah SAS HDD, i have tied every thing and cant seem to get windows to see the drive. the motherboard is an Asus 6pt delux with up to date bios.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Did you set your DVD drive as the first boot device?

Does your BIOS see the Cheetah drive?

If it does, then after making the DVD drive the first boot device in the BIOS, save that setting and restart the system with the install DVD in it and the install should begin.

You may see a prompt stating: Press any key to boot from CD/DVD drive.

Do that within 5 seconds and the install should start.

Reaction score
hi yep i get to the part where it says load drivers in thw windows7 setup screen but then it doesnt find the hard drive

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You have the SAS drive connected to the correct port? I have seen some issues where it would install if the it was connected to a "slave" port. I may be wrong but that what some other forum posts have stated.

Do you have the correct SAS driver to load at that startup screen asking for drivers?

Also I have read to disconnect all attached USB drives may help too.

I found this at the MS TechNet forums, this may be the answer you're looking for:

Your Windows 7 installation disc does not have the proper storage controller drivers in order to see your drive(s) and/or RAID array.

Get the storage controller drivers that go with your system, in fact download them from the vendor's site to make sure that you have Win7-compatible drivers. Put them on a thumbdrive, plug it into your system then boot up with the installer disc to load up Win7.

When you get to the screen where you expect to see your drives, there's a link on the bottom called 'Advanced'. Click it and you'll see some more options appear, one of which is 'Load Drivers'. Click that then browse to the thumbdrive or wherever you stored the drivers you downloaded, then select the appropriate .inf file. Let Windows Setup finish loading them, then you may need to click the 'Refresh' link in the drive window. At that point your volumes should show up, assuming you got the correct storage drivers.
Let me know how it works out for you, also be sure you have Windows 7 compatible drivers ready on your thumb drive. Either x64 or x86 (32-bit) for whichever version of Windows 7 Ultimate you're installing.

Reaction score
i have tired it in both ports have downloaded the lastest drivers from asus for the p6t delux and still no luck to say its doing my head in is an understatement

Reaction score
You need to load the SATA driver available on the motherboard site when installing. It has nothing to do with the drive.

Have it ready on USB stick, cd or dvd.

Reaction score
thanks for the reply torrentg i have tried the sas driver from the site still no luck i have tried just about every driver going i no that a SATA hard drive is a pain to set up but this bloodie SAS one has got me stumped

Reaction score
Like I said, it has nothing to do with any SAS or hard drive driver.

You need the SATA driver available to the machine at Windows install. It's on ASUS' website for your motherboard. If it's compressed in a zip, make sure you decompress it before putting it on cd, dvd or usb stick.

You're welcome.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Are you using a separate PCI card for the SAS connection to the SAS hard drive?

IF so, wouldn't you need the SAS driver for that card? Sometimes they're called SAS RAID controller.

From what I read about the ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard, it does NOT support an SAS HDD, a controller card is installed instead in a PCI-E slot. (I may be mistaken here but I believe that's your issue.)

EDIT:
This is from Bjorn3D.com:
the Seagate Cheetah NS.2 hard drives are SAS drives, so in order to get these bad boys running, we need a special RAID controller card, that is capable of Serial attached SCSI's and the new 6.0Gb/s interface.
This is from tweaktown.com article on testing the Cheetah 15K.7 SAS drive

Motherboard: ASUS P6T7 WS SuperCoputer (Supplied by ASUS)
Processors: Intel 975 EE (Supplied by AVADirect)
Memory: Corsair Dominator 1600 MHz Triple Channel Kit
Graphics Card: Leadtek Quadro FX1700 (Supplied by Leadtek)
Enclosure: Lian Li V2000
Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 (Supplied by Noctua)
SAS Controller: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i (Supplied by LSI)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate X64

So this verifies what I was mentioning before about the separate controller. PLUS it HAS to be plugged into a PCI-E 8X port! The long ones similar to the PCI-E video card slot.

Your motherboard has three of those long slots.

Which version of the motherboard do you have? I found this comment at Tom's Hardware:
The P6T deluxe V1 had a 2 drive SAS controller on board, so it could take these drives. The newer one though does not have this anymore, so you would need an add in card to be compatible with these drives.
Also check out this forum page from the Asus forums website: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx..._id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us&page=1

Last edited:

Ask a Question